Wheel removal

DavidJ

I picked up a kick wheel that I would like to clean up a bit but I'm having some trouble removing the wheel. After reading multiple posts regarding stubborn wheels and the difficulty in removing them I've been spraying/soaking with WD40. My question though pertains to the rod that the wheel is connected to. Would this be threaded so that the wheel needs to be spun off versus lifted? If it is threaded would it turn the traditional direction ie. "lefty loosey".  This may be a homemade wheel as there are no markings it showing the manufacturer.  Any help would be appreciated.20180509_161254.jpg.a87b97c8371a21aff56b588562fca63f.jpg20180509_161241.jpg.1c1749195d1dd4222d34d723193bf3ff.jpg20180509_161218.jpg.7c0d3f0d5eec72d68466d15262710889.jpg

wd40 is not a good choice for losening. Use a penetrating liquid spray made for this. 

as far as the threads its  most likely to be the opposite direction that the wheel head turns.

After soaking with the penetrating liquid spray a day or so use a little heat on the head not the shaft .No to much heat as its aluminum .

I may be wrong, but I would think that with the hex screws in 4 positions that the wheel head is forced onto a tapered shaft. If this is so some form of threaded jack device between the wheel head bracket and the bearing casing might help you force it off. What ever you do, don't try pounding directly on the wheel head as you could break it or warp it. It looks like it is cast so hammering is a good solution unless protected with some wood or some other material to equalize the blow to the entire area.

best,

Pres

Maybe those 4 holes have pins thru them

Your photo is a bit lacking on this details-are there screws in those holes or pins??

If yes those need to go first

I would soak the penetrating oil then try the heat and turning assuming it threaded first before thinking it tapered.Either way those holes hold something that holds it to the shaft I would guess.

david, welcome to the forum.  may i ask why you want to "clean the wheel up a bit"?  maybe it is not spinning as freely as you would like and that would be a reason but just to make it look cleaner if it is running well is really not necessary.  you have heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" many times, i am sure.  this might be one of those times.  

i do know there are people who become upset if their wheelhead gets a scratch.  have never understood that, the wheel is a tool and just like a hammer, it gets dinged up.

Its actually WD40 Penetrant  Spray that I used.  The  small holes held the two hex screws (there are only two) which I already removed.  The frame is dinged up and has some rust in a few places so I'd like to disassemble it and re-paint it.  It has a single piece splash pan which can only be removed with the table off.  I can also access the bearing easier. As you can see from one of the pics there is a bit of build up that needs to be addressed. Thanks for the tips.

Archived