I just went out to my garage to start a bisque load and saw that the head of my kiln's electric cord has completely separated from the rest of the cord right where the two join at the head.   I mean the plastic covering -  the electric wiring inside is intact and connected,  but I can see it.   Kind of gives me the creeps.  The kiln  has been fired about 68 times.   I have an email in to LL Kilns but since it's the weekend I thought I'd check  here for ideas.  Definitely doesn't look safe to use.    Anyone ever have this happen?   I have a picture but it's too big to attach.   Thanks!

I have never had this happen, but really would not feel comfortable using the kiln until replacing it. Only other option without using a new pigtail from L&L is to have the kiln direct wired into the breaker box. Electrician can do so easily. Depending on the size of the kiln and voltage many codes require a direct wiring anyway.

Posting a picture would be helpful, of the pigtail, and the kiln manufactures plate. This shows the voltage amps and general info.including the serial #. If you call or contact L&L they will want that information.

best,

Pres

If you are going to fire this now -keep an eye on it and replace it as soon as you can. The cord must have been pulled on some to make this damage.It is really unsafe from your discrption.But that is all we have to go by. 220 is not something to take lightly.

I'm not going to fire it.  I have a very healthy respect for high voltage.  I'm wondering now how long it's been like this and if I only noticed it now.  There's no way it could have been stepped on or anything - only I go in the garage.  The unplugged cord lays on the floor when the kiln isn't in use.  I can only imagine it happened gradually.  

I'll try again to upload the picture.  I was able to email  that to LL.  Thanks for your responses!

dlpotter taught me how to use Paint to size pictures that fit email and the forum.    right click on photo, select "open with" left click and select "Paint".   go to home, choose resize, then choose pixels and enter 600 for the horizontal size.  the vertical size will automatically become 450.    then save it.    once saved, post it here.      thank you again, john.

"right click on photo, select "open with" left click and select "Paint".   go to home, choose resize, then choose pixels and enter 600 for the horizontal size.  the vertical size will automatically become 450.    then save it.    once saved, post it here.      thank you again, john."

Thanks dlpotter and oldlady,  and I tried to  do that,  but photos on my laptop has been sort of disabled - long story about lack of storage  - and when I right click I don't see Open With, and nothing else there takes me to Paint, nor can I find it anywhere else.  (which doesn't mean it's not in there..... somewhere).   I haven't had the time or inclination to spend another afternoon on the phone with tech support, tho I have to again soon.  

But thanks for trying to help me.  Hopefully I'll hear from L&L tomorrow and find out what I need to do to get it up and running again.

another old lady

The plug can become separated from the cord if the cord isn't hanging straight down. Eventually gravity takes over and pulls them apart. Rotate the receptacle if that's the case. You can buy a new plug for the cord at the hardware store. You just have to cut off the off the old plug and strip back the wires. It'll be much cheaper than getting a new cord.

L&L is sending me a new cord under the warranty and I’m waiting to hear from the electrician so hopefully it will be fixed soon.  Thanks for the repair tips Neil but I’m not doing this myself.  And the cord does hang straight down so that didn’t cause the problem.  It’s still a mystery to me but I’m just glad it’s a relatively easy fix  

I tried to attach the pic from my phone but it’s same problem with the file being too big.  I can only resize when emailing or texting it.  I will send a pic when I can, hopefully later this week.

Thanks  everyone, for your help and moral support.   And happy almost spring!

Irene

Archived