cost of electric firings

I will be setting up my studio in my friends barn. He is paying the electric bill, but I want to pay my part. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how much it cost to run an electric kiln about 8 hours for a cone 04 bisque firing and a cone 6 glaze firing. I still do not have a kiln yet, although an approximate of the inside dimensions will be a round kiln 24 inches inside with a height of around 20 inches. not sure of the cubic feet yet. Thanks.

I will be setting up my studio in my friends barn. He is paying the electric bill, but I want to pay my part. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how much it cost to run an electric kiln about 8 hours for a cone 04 bisque firing and a cone 6 glaze firing. I still do not have a kiln yet, although an approximate of the inside dimensions will be a round kiln 24 inches inside with a height of around 20 inches. not sure of the cubic feet yet. Thanks.

I have my own meter set up to the shop. This way I can know exactly how much power I am using for heat, light, powering tools and kilns.

I have my own meter set up to the shop. This way I can know exactly how much power I am using for heat, light, powering tools and kilns.

I think it would be good to have this separate meter. You can write off some of your cost at the end of the year as business expense and this would make for an very accurate record. Putting in the meter would count as part of the expense. Good Idea.

What you can do is measure the meter on a normal day before you get your kiln. Record the use over a 10 hour period.<div>Then measure your firing and if significant you can subtract it from the cost of the firing.  His bill will state the electricity cost per KWH<div>kilo watt hour. Multiply that by the amount you use. Subtract the starting number from the ending number and multiply by the KWH rate. </div><div>This is how we did it at the co-op in Montana. We just paid the cost of everything running during that time. </div><div>Marcia</div></div>

The strange markings in this post are from saving the message after an OOPS message tells me I am not signed in...even though I was signed in.

Finding this frustrating.

Marcia

I use submeters from Davidge Controls for my studio, farm and my apartments. They are very easy to install and can be found here:http://www.ezmeter.com/

Archived