Can I Set Up A Studio In My Spare Bedroom?

I have a 2nd bedroom in the house I rent and I want to set up a studio. My main problem is safety and keeping the dust down. Everything else is doable except for the kiln right now, but I have a friend who will let me use theirs.

The room has hardwood floors and a door to the backyard. To be honest I really wanted to set it up in the other room but there's no door to the backyard and I think that's a really good thing to have in a studio.

So my main concern is keeping dust down and not ruining the hardwood floors. I have a small room air purifier and I would wet sponge everything down often. BUT I had an idea and it might be crazy that I could set down some kind of tarp or flooring that allows me to wash down at least half of the room out the backdoor? Keep in mind that I can't alter the house in any real way because I'm renting but I do have a little flexibility because the landlord and I get along really well.

Any ideas/concerns in general would be great...

Thanks!

lee U has done this.  she has posted photos of the space and how she adapted it for use as a studio.  try looking at her avatar and go to her page.  look at the "gallery" section and see how she did it.

a sheet vinyl floor is a possibility.

Yep, I did it too.  Only it's my house.  I work at the mopping/wiping/washing of rugs, etc.  We pulled the carpet up and put vinyl flooring down.  Would you be allowed to do that??  I bought some stuff that is very flexible, did not have to be glued down, we literally folded it up in a square and took it downstairs to the bedroom, and unfolded it and flopped it on the floor.  Perhaps you could find something like that to put over the hardwood floors?    Good luck!  It is wonderful having your own space, even if it is small!

Roberta

You could very well cover the floor with sheet vinyl that's not glued down, but make darn sure that you don't get water under the vinyl or it will ruin the wood. Maybe a layer of carpenter's paper between them so the vinyl doesn't stick? Do some research online and I bet you'll find an answer to that.

Thank you!

I'm feeling better about my options now. I just get very nervous about silica dust or other hazardous dust because I feel that I've been pretty careless in the past. I'm worried I'll give myself silicosis. I haven't had any issues at all with my lungs, but it's a scary thought.

I think at the very least I will put some kind of waterproof flooring or tarp under my wheel throwing area, in case of spills. I should be able to use a wet mop or sponge to clean the rest of the floor.

Diesel, 

I really appreciate this idea. My new studio is past the laundry room from the kitchen. I have carpet wipes at the bottom of the steps and again at the top. I an still finding flakes from shoes. Time for me to dedicate a working pair to the studio.Sorry, but I am out of likes already.

Marcia

I bought a roll of vinyl truck bed liner on sale at Home Depot for my 12 x 14 bedroom--it covers about 10 x 12. Got a wet vac with the right HEPA filter and a mop, put in a small utility sink and a bunch of shelves, made from old bookcases. Got flea market wire or plastic shelving and storage carts, and bought heavy duty plastic plant stands on wheels to put under the clay buckets (got for 6 for .50 each at a yard sale). Got a metal utility unit for glaze and supplies and a heavier one for drying things. Got a utility cart to roll stuff out to the kiln, on the back porch.  As Callie notes, when the studiois in your house, keep separate shoes, aprons, towles etc. that never leave the room. Don't bring your cell phone into the studio and when you do it anyway, never-ever touch your cell phone after you have dripped some super glue on your finger. Lots of pics in my Gallery.

Archived