Potters Quiz Of The Week: Week 6

Week 6

1. ___________________ is a modeling technique that has huge potential. The name “_________________†describes the act of dragging a profile through wet plaster. This is one of several techniques used to create models.

1. Sledding

2. Carving

3. Profiling

4. Sledging

2. ______________describes the process of forming over a hump-it used for plates, saucers and shallow bowls, where the mold forms the front face of the clay piece and the tool forms the back, or the underside of the object.

1. Slip pouring

2. Throwing

3. Jolleying

4. Jiggering

3. This very simple technique, ______________,which can produce a wide variety of interesting patterns and colors, is often done as part of a raku firing. It uses a copper oxide recipe that is coated onto bisqueware. This recipe could be Copper oxide 90, Alkaline frit 10, Bentonite 10, wallpaper paste.

1. Saggering

2. Fuming

3. Smoking

4. Vaping

4. Mixing an amount of base glaze, dividing it into equal proportions, and adding increasing percentages of an oxide is known as a ____________ blend.

1. line

2. triaxial

3. 50/50

4. percentage

This weeks questions were taken from text in The Workhop guide to Ceramics, Duncan Hooson & Anthony Quinn, First edition 2012. BARRONS

Note from Pres: This text is extremely broad in scope including chapters on Models and mold making, Studio organization, Design with subsections on Drawing, computer imagery, digital design. It also has a great deal on information on decoration and glazes.

Seems like others are a little hesitant to post at this time, too tough a quiz?  

Oh and a little side here, the copy paste of my answers and of my questions gets messed up in the translation. It seems forum software wants to change all of my pasted a) into smiley faces, and all of the other letters into numbers. Really messed up.

1) 4. They have a plaster sledging area at Medalta.

2) 3. Jiggering is when you put the clay into a slump mould and form it wth a template, jollying is whey you use a hump mould for a similar process. Again, thank you Medalta.

3) 2. Misspent youth.

4) 1. Did a lot of these, likely as punishment for said misspent youth.

I'm going with 4-4-2, from memory-very, very old memory (!). I love it when it actually pops up once in a while. I have sledged, and have certainly jiggered for my jollies (sans clay), but the last one had me stumped until I really thought about it--a total guess, tho. I think Line, because of adding something in as an increasing variable. 

Interesting questions for me because I do not get too involved in other processes besides crystalline.

1 - 1.... because it makes sense to me... but I have no idea.

2. - 4  again I do not get involved with this process.

3. -2 I know something about this process, although I do not raku.

4.-1  

Nerd

Week 6 Answers

1. ___Sledging____ is a modeling technique that has huge potential. The name “_________________†describes the act of dragging a profile through wet plaster. This is one of several techniques used to create models.

1. Sledding

2. Carving

3. Profiling

4. Sledging

Sledging is a modeling technique that has huge potential. The name “sledging†describes the act of dragging a proï¬le through Wet plaster. Advance preparation of templates and tools allows you to form the plaster with comparative ease.

1. __Jiggering_describes the process of forming over a hump-it used for plates, saucers and shallow bowls, where the mold forms the front face of the clay piece and the tool forms the back, or the underside of the object.

1. Slip pouring

2. Throwing

3. Jolleying

4. Jiggering

Jiggering describes the act of forming over a hump-it is used for plates, saucers, and shallow bowls, where the mold forms the front face of the clay piece and the tool forms the back, or underside, of the object. Jolleying describes the act of forming into a hollow mold and is used for cups and deep bowls, where the mold forms the outside shape and the tool forms the inside.

1. This very simple technique, __Fuming___,which can produce a wide variety of interesting patterns and colors, is often done as part of a raku firing. It uses a copper oxide recipe that is coated onto bisqueware. This recipe could be Copper oxide 90, Alkaline frit 10, Bentonite 10, wallpaper paste.

1. Saggering

2. Fuming

3. Smoking

4. Vaping

Fuming

This very simple technique, which can produce a wide variety of interesting patterns and colors, is often done as part of a raku ï¬ring. It uses a copper oxide recipe that is coated onto the bisque clay body and ï¬red as standard raku to 183O° F(1000° C). The work is then reduced by being placed on a small amount of sawdust in the trash can, With the lid placed over the work, enabling fuming to occur inside.

1. Mixing an amount of base glaze, dividing it into equal proportions, and adding increasing percentages of an oxide is known as a __line__ blend.

1. line

2. triaxial

3. 50/50

4. percentage

Line blend

A line blend is a simple but effective test to understand the effect of adding one material to a glaze in increasing amounts. It is often used to test an oxide addition to a glaze.

This weeks questions were taken from text in The Workhop guide to Ceramics, Duncan Hooson & Anthony Quinn, First edition 2012. BARRONS

Note from Pres: This text is extremely broad in scope including chapters on Models and mold making, Studio organization, Design with subsections on Drawing, computer imagery, digital design. It also has a great deal on information on decoration and glazes.

Archived