1 hour ago, Marcia Selsor said:

This is what I use...adapted from Peggy Heer's  . 

1:4 toilet paper to clay?  Soak toilet paper overnight, squeeze dry, add to dry clay, the same body as you are repairing..  Then add vinegar and a few drops of sodium silicate and mix with blender. I have repaired students' work with this as well as a sculpture of my own.\

Well if the new one cracks I'll try this, hopefully I won't need to.

8 hours ago, pizzuti_ said:

Well if the new one cracks I'll try this, hopefully I won't need to.

Nooooooooooooo! Don’t accept cracks as the norm.  Unless you are going for cracks!

do something to prevent cracks - change claybody, how you make wares, Firing cycle - something so that cracks is a thing of the past. 

In our school we candle at 200 for 48 hours to avoid blowups and cracks. Thick pieces could be .5 to 1 inch thick.  I have been known to cook functional ware at the lowest setting in my home oven and had 6 pieces come out bone dry in 8 hours. Hand built.  Winter. No rain.  At a different school where kiln space was limited and the proff would only fire bone dry.  

6 hours ago, preeta said:

Nooooooooooooo! Don’t accept cracks as the norm.  Unless you are going for cracks!

do something to prevent cracks - change claybody, how you make wares, Firing cycle - something so that cracks is a thing of the past. 

In our school we candle at 200 for 48 hours to avoid blowups and cracks. Thick pieces could be .5 to 1 inch thick.  I have been known to cook functional ware at the lowest setting in my home oven and had 6 pieces come out bone dry in 8 hours. Hand built.  Winter. No rain.  At a different school where kiln space was limited and the proff would only fire bone dry.  

I am not accepting cracks as the norm. I have a piece that I hand built in the dove porcelain, it's drying now and it's past leather hard, if it cracks, it cracks.  I'll let it dry a few weeks more then I will candle for a few days before I fire it. I'm not sure the issue with this piece was the firing. I don't think I built, or dried, it properly, I think the base stayed too wet. I did it differently on this one and I'm optimistic, we'll see.

6 hours ago, pizzuti_ said:

I am not accepting cracks as the norm. I did it differently on this one and I'm optimistic, we'll see.

Whew! Good!!

its this we’ll see that keeps me going in ceramics.  I secretly think my favourite thing about ceramics is all the myriad of problems I have to solve!  And the even more fun part is actually predicting the problem and waiting to see it happens because then it proved your point.  

Your base may be thinner than rest if not solid

You may be leaving moisture in pot

Get it off its base asap if not before.

Clay may not be wedged compressed enough in that area.

Research cracking...it's happened before.

Not wikip.

20 hours ago, preeta said:

Whew! Good!!

its this we’ll see that keeps me going in ceramics.  I secretly think my favourite thing about ceramics is all the myriad of problems I have to solve!  And the even more fun part is actually predicting the problem and waiting to see it happens because then it proved your point.  

Ha, I really like repairing things.  I think I'd be perfectly content just doing restoration work :)

18 hours ago, Babs said:

Your base may be thinner than rest if not solid

You may be leaving moisture in pot

Get it off its base asap if not before.

Clay may not be wedged compressed enough in that area.

Research cracking...it's happened before.

Not wikip.

Yeah, I did this time, I have it upside down on a screen to dry, fingers crossed....

9 hours ago, pizzuti_ said:

Ha, I really like repairing things.  I think I'd be perfectly content just doing restoration work :)

Darn Pizzuti you missed your calling. An archeologist or museum restorer (sound boring but I’d give anything to hold the really old pieces) or a famous  kintsugi restorer in Japan. 

1 hour ago, preeta said:

Darn Pizzuti you missed your calling. An archeologist or museum restorer (sound boring but I’d give anything to hold the really old pieces) or a famous  kintsugi restorer in Japan. 

Boring??? Sounds VERY exciting to me.  I might have to look into it....

Archived