Adding Colour To White Commercial Glaze

I have found myself with an over abundance of Spectrum Satin White ^5 commercial glaze.

I am glaze testing all next week, with both home made glazes and commercial glazes. I realize that the main answer will be to "test, test, test!" However, I am looking to pick your collective brains, instead of reinventing the wheel. I would love to hear if anyone has experience with colouring this commercial white glaze, in a successful or recommended way.

I would love to receive any tips or recipes for making this white glaze more colourful or interesting!

Edited to Add: I especially love purples, greens, and speckles. But would love to hear whatever you've got to share! :)

Edited again: I use Plainsman M325 in an electric kiln (just fyi... in case that helps!)

do you have a selection of oxides and carbonates to color the glaze?  whatever you use it will be a pastel or a lighter shade.  

you are in canada and i don't remember whether you have access to mason stains at a reasonable price.  what kinds of coloring agents are you thinking of?

the simple way for blue is add a little cobalt carb and mix it up.  do second test with more.  do another if you have enough to work with.  these will need power mixing and sieving to equalize the color addition through the entire glaze.  if the glaze is already liquid, measure it and add a measured amount of the dry cobalt so is something wonderful happens, you can repeat it.   keep good notes.

cobalt oxide is very strong and it is difficult for me to mix it without getting the occasional deep cobalt speck.  

whatever other colors you might like, just experiment.  what can it hurt?  

Are these wet mixed glazes? The problem you'll have is repeatability. The only way to accurately and repeatably alter a glaze is to add ingredients by weight to the dry mix. So you're going to be doing an awful lot of guesstimating when adding dry colorants to wet glaze. You need to start with very small amounts of colorant and build from there so you don't overload the glaze with colorant and create a situation where it's not safe to use.

I like adding cobalt oxide (not carbonate) (~0.25% by guess) to white glazes to make a speckled blue. I embrace the concentrated aspect.

A little iron (1-2%) can be added to make a warm-more-orange-brown white.

In general, white glazes are very opaque.

I have also done things such as mixing two liquid glazes to make a new glaze. Not good for consistency but that has never been my strength anyways.

Archived