Glaze 101

flyemma

Hi guys! Id love to start making my own glazes however I have no idea how to! Where I used to help teach the other artist always made the glazes and now on my own Id love to learn! Ive tried looking it up and watching videos but I just can't get the hang of it! Any help with ideas, recipes, recommendations and options would be great! 

If you want recipes we'd need to know what cone you fire to, there's quite a few on this website somewhere.

As for mixing glazes my procedure is to first assemble the required ingredients and arrange them in order of the recipe on the rhs of the bench - weigh out each ingredient in turn and place the used container on the lhs of the bench and put the weighed portion into the glaze bucket - (first mark the bucket with the glaze name and temperature) - continue until all the ingredients are in - add water - I start with 600gms per 1000 of glaze and expect to add another 200 - mix - leave to slake overnight - mix again -  then sieve - try and get everything through the sieve - this is where some of the extra water gets added, usually by means of a small sprayer washing through the sieve etc.

Hi guys! Id love to start making my own glazes however I have no idea how to! Where I used to help teach the other artist always made the glazes and now on my own Id love to learn! Ive tried looking it up and watching videos but I just can't get the hang of it! Any help with ideas, recipes, recommendations and options would be great! 

Go to www.Matrix2000.co.nz and take a look at what they offer.

David

When I started learning about glazes, I read 'Out of the Earth, Into the Fire' by Mimi Obstler, which I found very inspiring. Many people recommend Mastering Cone 6 Glazes and John Britt's books on high-fire and mid-range glazes.

Online resources: Glazy is a great collection of recipes, the Digitalfire reference database has a ton of information, and the Ceramic Recipes facebook group is worth checking out.

In case you haven't yet, make sure you read up on safety issues associated with mixing glazes. In particular, use a proper respirator and work in a well ventilated area.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/bookstore/understanding-glazes/

A glaze workshop from a glaze guru.

I'd recommend this, or one of his books depending if your high or mid firing. A wealth of information in both books, the video covers a lot of the same ground with a few extra bits thrown in but it well presented and easy to watch (although the background music gets really annoying after a while!)

Archived