wire for decoration?

lerpa

Is it possible to decorate a pot with wire and then fire it? For example: inlay wire into leather-hard clay and bisque fire, or wrap part of a bisqued pot with wire and glaze fire? Or does the heat of the kiln simply melt the wire right off the pot?

While in grad school, one of the others students was doing nude slab built life size torsos wrapped in barbed wire and other materials. These were fired in a cone 10 reduction firing. The barbed wire would burn down part way and melt over the figure, but part of the wire would stay in place-kind of a hollow core. I assume it was the zinc coating or something like that that remained. It was a pretty cool yet gruesome effect. The wire was place on the pot in the wet stage. I don't know why you couldn't try it on bisque maybe some experimenting is warranted.

Wire is fun to experiment with, maybe start with small pieces and different types of wire. It can be added at raw or bisque stage, but is fun at the raw stage to embed in the clay.

I've played with copper wire which leaves great flashes on the work- a skeleton of the wire remains that is a little fragile but gives great colour. In one form I had painted it with just with a clear glaze and the copper wire reacted beautifully leaving pools of green where the wire touched the glaze.

I've also created woven copper wire bowls, then woven white raku clay coils between the wire frame, glazed with a copper raku glaze- amazing colour outcomes.

I've used pieces of broken bike chain as hair on figures etc

play and experiment with it

regards, Lyn

Wire is fun to experiment with, maybe start with small pieces and different types of wire. It can be added at raw or bisque stage, but is fun at the raw stage to embed in the clay.

I've played with copper wire which leaves great flashes on the work- a skeleton of the wire remains that is a little fragile but gives great colour. In one form I had painted it with just with a clear glaze and the copper wire reacted beautifully leaving pools of green where the wire touched the glaze.

I've also created woven copper wire bowls, then woven white raku clay coils between the wire frame, glazed with a copper raku glaze- amazing colour outcomes.

I've used pieces of broken bike chain as hair on figures etc

play and experiment with it

regards, Lyn

I would LOVE to see pictures!! any chance you have a picture of any of this?

What about other kinds of wire - non-copper?

And ... does this kind of thing do any damage to the kiln or the other pots? I share kiln space for both the bisque and glaze firings ... I'd love to experiment, but think my hosts would take a dim view of it if something might explode or make a mess on their pots or the kiln itself.

I really appreciate the responses- thanks!

Claymakers add manganese to clay bodies to create specks in the fired pot. Potters who do raku routinely wrap pots with wires or pieces of copper scrubbies.

I read recently about one potter who collects brass, aluminum and other shavings from a local key maker and adds those to his clay body and glazes. He said the melting metal added specks of color and flashing.

Adding the wire should not make your pot explode. Until you get feedback from trying the technique, it might be a good idea to fire any wire-infused pots separate from glazed pots that might be sensistive to flashing from copper, etc. You will want to keep any metals away from the bottoms or feet -- they could melt onto the kiln shelf.

I have used nichrome wire on pots, as have some of my friends. I'm attaching a photo of one of my beaded cups. U-Shaped pieces of nichrome are pushed into the clay when wet and fired in place. I have another friend who used upholstery tacks as an accent on a pot and they survived a cone 10 firing.

post-725-132119631039_thumb.jpg

I have used nichrome wire on pots, as have some of my friends. I'm attaching a photo of one of my beaded cups. U-Shaped pieces of nichrome are pushed into the clay when wet and fired in place. I have another friend who used upholstery tacks as an accent on a pot and they survived a cone 10 firing.

that is so cool!! thanks for sharing

@lerpa, I have used Kemper's high fire 17 gauge wire as an armature for a sculptured deer I made, but the greenware fractured and broke off before I could bisque. I think that has to do the clay shrinkage. But I think this is because I went to thin at the ankles. Mea copa. But I plan to try other methods with this wire. I think it is practical, but you may have to experiment with it.

WOW! That's a cool idea!

And upholstery tacks, really!? That's something to contemplate. wink.gif

Anyone want to share their favorite supplier for Nichrome wire? I did a search a few months back, but want to know what the other kids are using.

WOW! That's a cool idea!

And upholstery tacks, really!? That's something to contemplate. wink.gif

Anyone want to share their favorite supplier for Nichrome wire? I did a search a few months back, but want to know what the other kids are using.

I get it from Bracker's.

Archived