How Do I Repair This Old English Bowl?

markg2

I’m almost positive that we didn't knick this bowl--that the tiny 'hole' developed on its own. It's almost as if the glaze just erupted or came off with age. The bowl was purchased as a set of 3 in England ~40 years ago. I've attached 2 images. I guess matching the color is out of the question. My primary concern at this point is to stop the deterioration before it gets worse.

post-73192-0-41068900-1449409813_thumb.jpgpost-73192-0-75356800-1449409815_thumb.jpg

Mark

post-73192-0-41068900-1449409813_thumb.jpg

post-73192-0-75356800-1449409815_thumb.jpg

Odd. It almost looks like there was a void under the glaze. I'm not really sure how damage like that could happen otherwise.

In regards to repair, I would say some type of epoxy, but I would also hesitate to suggest anything that would affect the value of the piece.

Yes, the bowl is functional and we've used it for many years--generally for mixing.The bowl never has gone near an oven or heat.

The bowl will be passed on but for the same utilitarian purpose.

I was thinking of a repair that would stop whatever is going on and be as clear as possible so as to not draw attention. In my experience, the problem with an epoxy or similar 'glue' is that you can't work it. So you could likely end up with the fill being a bit below the edge of the cracked opening or above?

Mark

Use epoxy putty. You can work this into the area quite well, clean up the excess while still a little tacky, then use a dremel with different bits to grind smooth. The soft rubbery bits will take it off of the glaze pretty easy, and not mess up the finish. I have had to use this technique with student pots over the years and it works well. If you are any good at mixing color you could paint with acrylic or enamel over top. Won't be dish safe that way, but funtional and washable by hand.

best,

Pres

I'll go to an ACE hardware vs. Home Depot since I don't recollect ever seeing an epoxy putty on many trips to our local (smaller) HD for glue. Can you give me a product name so I can read up on it?

Btw, the bowl isn't English but made in Ohio. The stamp is really hard to read. I took a photo to post but I don't see the opportunity to post an image in this reply area as I did the initial post. But I don't think it would have helped.

Thanks for all the support on this problem to everyone who contributed.

Mark

Lots of different brands of this stuff out there. Some is designed for auto repair with steel reinforcement, some for plumbing, here is a link to one such

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-431348-Multi-Purpose-Repair/dp/B000BOB8P6

Since you mentioned ACE,

http://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=epoxy%20putty&origkw=epoxy+putty&f=Taxonomy/ACE/19541496&sr=1

When the epoxy starts to set you can smooth it out with a razor blade or similar knife. if it is set a little to much a little water or spit will work to help the razor slide over the surface . A little water  does not effect epoxy as it dries.

That appears to be a fairly rough clay, and you can see from the closeup photo of the name stamp that there's a lot of unevenness below the glaze surface. This spot was probably an impurity that burned out in the glaze firing or a bloat. Either way it left a void. Eventually the thin glaze layer covering it gave out. Since it's not on the inside where food touches it, I would just leave it unless it will tend to get filled with food and gunk. I would I don't think there's any reason to believe that it will cause a huge crack or anything like that, though. Epoxy putty will fill it nicely, but to to do it cleanly while the putty is wet so you don't have to do any sort of grinding or scraping which could ruin the glaze. Use a marine grade epoxy that will hold up well when wet. The repair will be visible, but that's okay. It's a sign of use and love.

When you look closely in person you can see a hairline crack coming off the 'hole'. My concern is that with more time and moisture from hand washing the hole will continue to distingrate. Hence, the necessity to 'plug' the hole as a proactive precaution. I'm taking my dremel to Ace (as usual) since I only use the thing every year or two and forget how to do so + usually need to buy the appropriate head--in this instance the rubber grinder thing. That's another reason to buy the expoxy putty there.

Any time you have a defect in glaze or clay, the water from washing, and the moisture in the air of a kitchen will find that place to build up moisture in the clay-especially clays of a courser type that are fired at lower temps and possibly not competely vitrified thus causing more damage over time. That is the reason I would repair it. Everyone here has given you good tips on how to work with the putty, and what to use. In the long run the bowl is worth saving and a little loving repair may help it last many more years.

best,

Pres

Archived