If your wheel head comes off a drill press is best-if not a drill will do the job.

You layout the holes at 10 inch centers If I recall. Buy or borrow a batt to check this out. do the layout at least twice  with a pencil so you get it right.

This will require a center punch and a drill and a bit. I will measure my pins or someone here will state what size they are.

If you are not handy working with metal have someone else do this job.

Mark

it is really important that this be done correctly.   getting it exactly 10 inches on center means a great deal of accurate measurement.  a machine shop can help if one is available.  cost is nothing much compared to a lifetime of an offcenter bat whirling around driving you nuts.

Just in case there are others reading this who are not in the U.S. - in the UK our batt pins are different. We have one in the centre and one offset. I'm away from home right now, so can't give you measurements, but approx 4/5" apart. I had pins added to my wheelhead by a friend who works in an engineering workshop - 10 minute job for him! Our batts often have a circular hole in the centre with the other one slightly elongated (oval) to provide some tolerance I assume. I hadn't realised the difference when I first had the wheelhead drilled for pins, with 10" centres, only to find that drilled batts here in the UK were as described above!

I drilled a couple for my classroom wheels.  As others have said, measure well.  I made a paper template, based off a bat, and used the punch through that.  I used a bit of homemade cutting oil on the bit, as I went.  They all turned out great.  Just make sure you get all the metal shavings, when you finish up.  You wouldn't want those to get into your clay, for many reasons.

Archived