Greenware Fired To 04, 05 Or 06?

DirtRoads

I fire to 04, because my porcelain is a little too porous for glazing if I go cooler than that. The stoneware bodies we use are a little tighter than I would like at 04, but I'd rather have them less porous than the porcelain too porous.

In school we bisque fired to 06. Some clay bodies that don't get everything burned out well at 06 may need to go hotter.

I fire to 05.    Can anyone explain why you would use 04, 05 or 06?

I would offer that the number one reason for any particular bisque Cone would be that it is the way it was taught in whatever place they learned. They mastered their glazes at that temp too so it makes life much simpler to go from a solid starting point.

Later on another teacher offers options and most are surprised to know that it is flexible depending on how porous you want your bisque piece to be. I bisque between 09-010 because I want a soft open bisque.

when i bisque at all, i use 04.  years ago, i got tired of throwing away kiln loads of pinholed pots.  of course, i also started spraying glazes which makes everything easier.  no fingermarks, no blobs from a too thick glaze, and instant drying so the pot can be handled immediately after spraying.

this week, i am spraying the many pots i made in florida over the winter and bisqued so they could travel to west va.  big sale on may 10 weekend, lots to do and fire before then.

normally, i spray glaze onto greenware.  just make pot, let it dry, trim, dip foot in hot wax, spray glaze, put into kiln, done.

I bisque at Cone 07. Less energy used. Less time in the kiln.I fire stoneware to cone 10 reduction in a gas kiln.

At school I bisque and glaze at cone06. I sometimes bisque pots on the bottom shelves and glaze pots on top shelves.

TJR.

Archived