My New Clay Rollers....

Chilly

A bit like waiting for a bus, no clay roller for a long time, now I'm the happy owner of two, so thought I'd show some pictures.

First we have the birthday present from the other half.  It's heavy, but I can pick it up.  It has three removable  boards, and a cutting mat under the canvas.  It works really well, I rolled six lumps yesterday and they are now wrapped in plastic bags waiting to be used.   :)   Cost = just under £100.

c5b645673af4de40ad4e884d2f6027a3.jpg

60af965294e7c660ff28f08da0b16a09.jpg

Then we have the vintage mangle that I bought from eBay, and de-rusted and painted it.  This one is going "on-loan" to the centre. I haven't tried any clay through it, but I have a ply board with two slats glued to the sides, and will then use thicker slats to determine the thickness of the clay.  It's going to the centre on Thursday, so will make my life easier, and get some of the older crowd making stuff, instead of painting slip-cast stuff.  Also will ease the burden on the class tutor who can't keep up with the pouring.  Cost  = one tin of primer.

9a4ad83d95fe7812c170c629807127cc.jpg

9307a2f1552ae02ad3ccebf40aaffbe0.jpg

We've made a dolly for the mangle to sit on, as it's own wheels are cast iron, and the floor at the centre is quarry tiled.  Oops, I still need to paint it's wheels.

love the color of the "antique" mangle.  i tried one in the 90s and found that the rubber rollers could not take the stress and they cracked through.  maybe if that happens your other half could improvise with something more suitable.  

you are on your way, now!

Heyyy, interesting looking roller. Where did you get that from? Under £100 seems too good.

Is it a custom build?

Yep. custom build.  Rollers themselves are 63mm 16bar pvc tube with a wall thickness of 6mm.  Wooden box was built to suit size of mdf - one 6mm (I think) sheet cut into thirds.  Wire is 3.2mm, and we bought 8 or was it 10 metres.  Bolts, eye rings, "corners" and bottlescrew all came from stuff he had in his garage, or adapted.  T'other half was a mechanical engineer!

We studied lots of YouTube videos and looked at all the models we could find online before committing.  Mainly designed while building.  I'm really happy with it tho'.

Love this antique mangle.  I remember we had an electric one when i was growing up. Long gone.  And hey, remember those old wringer washing machines? Bet one of those old wringers would work.  rakuku

My dad said his mum had one just like that except it was brown and rusty!.  My mum had one that fitted onto the washing tub and was electrically operated.

love the color of the "antique" mangle.  i tried one in the 90s and found that the rubber rollers could not take the stress and they cracked through.  maybe if that happens your other half could improvise with something more suitable.  

you are on your way, now!

The colour is the best I could do.  Couldn't find a green like the original, so mixed some existing dark green gloss with satin white and grey primer.  It's weird that it came out so blue, but I found that same problem when I wanted green paint for my garage doors.  They all were too blue.  Anyway the colour reminds me of my Nan's kitchen.  

The rubber rollers are already surface cracked, if they get worse I'll get "him indoors" to make wooden replacements.

Took the mangle roller to the centre today, and was rushing to get some glazing done to go into the kiln, so only had 10 minutes to play.

Whoopeee tho'.  It worked a treat.  I'd recommend finding an old mangle and using it for non-production stuff.  

TBH it was easier to use than my custom-made one, but I won't tell the other half that.  It does take up more space, and I don't have room for it in the greenhouse, so the custom one scores better there.

Thinking about the "easier to use" it could be the handle on the wheel.  Maybe I need a mod to the dowel stick handle......

Archived