Gladstone Electrical Wheel Showing E10 On Lcd Display

Hi 

I'm having a problem with my pottery wheel, a 2nd hand Gladstone 30 from the UK.

The wheel head would turn four times then totally stop, when pressing down on the foot pedal.

Can see inside that there's a Hitachi SJ100 controller with the display showing E 10.

Looked up the controller online and says E10 means there is an error with the 'current transformer'

Did get an electrician to look at it - but its an electronic problem

Also have been in touch with Gladstone manufacturers but they say that the only option is to ship it to the UK   ...

Afraid I live in Ireland, so not a great option! 

Just wondering if anyone out there might have had the same issue- the photo shows the controller 

and wires etc. Everything else is working perfectly...

Thanks a lot 

Sine

post-10538-0-52802200-1421182312_thumb.jpg

post-10538-0-52802200-1421182312_thumb.jpg

I found electricians are good at joining stuff up with wires but once they get into electronics it goes pete tong. I have never seen a wheel with an LCD display.

I don't know what counts as a strong source of electrical interference but have you moved the wheel somewhere?

If the built in current transformer is broken I have no idea. 

Never seen anything like that on this side of the pond. Sorry no help.

If you need a new stand alone transformer just get another opne with the same specs as yours-any good electronic supply house can match up the numbers on the name plate of said transformer.

Mark

This is what their manual says about E10. To me the built in current transformer wouldn't be the one on the outside.

post-23281-0-10290400-1421200052_thumb.png

It also says that it converts ac power into dc and then back to ac. Why, I have no idea  :huh: I guess so they can control the motor.

post-23281-0-78848800-1421200805_thumb.png

Can you post a clearer picture of the black thing?

post-23281-0-10290400-1421200052_thumb.png

post-23281-0-78848800-1421200805_thumb.png

Hi -thanks for all the replies

Just to say that before Christmas there was severe a lightning & thunder storm which seemingly

got into the electricity supply in the whole area creating spikes in the power supply current

Anything with complex circuitry in the nearby town was blown (according to the electrician)

All smoke alarms that are connected into power supply were fried....

Didn't realise all this at the time- as the wheel was still going but then stopping after 4 turns....showing E 03 first of all

which says 'overload on current' but then eventually stuck on E 10. 

Have attached a closer photo of the black box beside the controller...

Afraid Gladstone have just said they'll need to look at it to be able to diagnose which is fair enough...

Was hoping it might of been something that I could manage myself but maybe the whole circuitry board

may need to be replaced, as you suggested

Ah well! The wheel owes me nothing as I bought it 2nd/ 3rd hand for not much and has worked perfectly until 2014!

Power surges usually blow the transformer 1st-I had one last May and both my door bell and forced air heater transformers blew and needed replacing as well as a few in wall timers and my refrigerator compressor .

You should run the wheel thru a surge protector if your area gets hit often.

mark

"Current transformer" very likely refers to a specific circuit component that is not the familiar step-up or step-down transformer within the power supply.  A current transformer often looks like a plastic or ferrite rectangle (core) with a hole through the middle and a wire passing through the hole, or wound a few times around one leg of the rectangle.  Another pair of wires will be connected to the circuit board.

This is used to measure the AC current passing through the single wire, either as a part of a feedback control loop, or as a safety guard (cut off the power if over-current is detected), or both.

It is also possible that "current transformer" is a misnomer for a DC current sensor that does the same thing with e.g. a Hall effect magnetic field sensor.  (Transformers work only with AC, not DC, though they might be used with chopped DC as could be seen in a motor control circuit.)  It is cheaper to just put a low-resistance (but high enough wattage) resistor into the circuit, and measure the voltage across that current sense resistor.

Look for something resembling a rectangle with a hole and a wire through it, then look for bad solder joints, broken wires, or loose or corroded push-on connectors on the wires connecting that to the circuit board (the current transformer could be on the circuit board itself), or on the wire that passes through it.

Thanks a lot for that Bny- I can't see anything like that but maybe is inside that black box.

I'm going to try find someone local whose good with electronics to have a look-

High Bridge Pottery- I did tell Gladstone about the surge etc- ( the E 03 on the display means this) 

but they have said they would need to see it ( a bit reluctantly, I'll admit)

Thanks for all your advice- I'll try the electonic guy first and see how it goes! :)

Archived