Grey Glaze With White Specks

JoPotter

What cone and atmosphere are you firing to? If it's ^6 oxidation I've had good luck with Mason 6506 Pearl Gray at 2% in  a high calcium and magnesium clear base. Bunch of shelf fillers in the pic with this stain. It's not a satin mat but might work if you have a satin base. White specs I have no clue how to get.

post-747-0-83932500-1416343461_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-83932500-1416343461_thumb.jpg

Yes it is cone 6, I think I'm going to try more stains. I did try mason gun metal but it went very blue with all the base glazes I've tried. I have tried nickel and many different combinations with cobalt but no luck. I even thought about colouring the clay but most research suggests manganese which I don't really want to use. So I will see how colouring a slip goes but I don't think there is such a thing as a transparent satin matte. The search continues, thanks for the advice

Are you trying for a granite effect? When you find your grey base, try adding ground-up pre-fired porcelain bits or other vitrified, sifted for size, particles. Maybe grog would work. They would not soak up your glaze color, but might make the surface rough, depending on particle size, because they won't melt in the glaze. Apply the glaze like those low-fire "sprinkle" glazes, stirring up the heavier bits and brushing on.

Thinking more about the commercial Sprinkle glazes, I wonder if those bits of color that don't dissolve in the base glaze but melt in the firing consist of partly fired glaze, or even ground up completely fired glaze that would re-melt. Hmmmm. How to do that?

Archived