Recently my school purchased a skutt 1627 kiln. A hefty kiln for a school but we needed it due to the amount of students enrolling in ceramics. We also did not want to limit the size of their work so admin was really kind and bought us this huge kiln. Although I would prefer a front loader I can't complain.

My issue is how to stack the shelving. When the installers came they told me the middle stilts had to stay in a triangle pattern or the bottom would crack. I have 13"x16"x1" shelving for the middle,so it does not go all the way across. Two of this size shelf will fit across the middle but I can not seem to understand how I am to stack two shelves across three stilts without them falling. Below is a picture with stilts in all the holes in the middle area.

KM1627insert.jpg

I was told to only use three stilts in a triangular pattern. I am at a loss. I have tried to look up utube and images and cannot find any videos or images. If any of you use this type of kiln if you would be so kind to post a pic as to how the stilts go that would be an amazing help. Thanks in advance.

What exactly are we looking at in this photo? Why are there holes in those shelves?

So you want to use two small shelves for the middle area instead of one big shelf? That's fine, just have 3 posts per small shelf. Where the two shelves meet you'll have a post at each corner, then one post on the opposite side of each shelf along the edge. It will require a total of 4 posts, though. Each small shelf will be held with a triangle. As long as you're stacking it that way all the way up you'll be fine. Posts must align vertically. But I wouldn't put a single large shelf at the bottom with only 3 posts holding it or you'll have unsupported pressure in places.

The foam shows you where your bottom stilts need to be I think.It just shows you the stilting (posts) pattern to use.My guess is this is where the floor is beefed up to handle the load on the posts.As they said thefloor will crack if you use other areas for support.

Take the foam out as it will burn up and be a big mess if fired.

Mark

I took a look at the Skutt website, and that doesn't appear to be foam. 

http://skutt.com/products-page/ceramic-kilns/km-1627-3pk/

It is an insulating fiber insert, designed to keep more even firings by better insulating the bottom.  Your lid is also fiber insulation, same idea, keep more heat in and even out the firings.  So check it out, and if it isn't foam, leave it in.  I would put shelves down on those posts and  I would also contact Skutt to see if they can offer more advice on the loading than is available in the manual, or the brief intro from your installers. 1-503-774-6000  That is an expensive bit of equipment and doing the most you can to treat it right is in order I'm sure you will agree. Skutt support is supposed to be top shelf.

John Lowes

Archived