Red Oxide

I use ^6 soft brown stoneware. can I paint a motif on a bowl with red iron oxide and go over it with clear glaze and it still show through or will it blend in and not show up? A friend wants an Iroquois motif on the side and I thought if that worked it would look good. still learning and having a blast, thank you all for your wealth of knowledge

I guessing you are putting the iron oxide on leather hard and bisque fire? Or coloring bisque ware?

I've tried both ways using iron oxide wash and high iron oxide containing slip. At cone 6 most of the iron oxide dissolved into the clear glaze - I think the fluxing action gets involved.

At cone 06 I have had better luck with the iron staying on the work and out of solution with the clear glaze.

Lee

I use iron oxide on Cone 10 Shino. If you want a clear line you paint it on top of the glaze. If you want a soft line, kind of blurry, paint it first, then apply glaze. Check out my gallery for confirmation.TJR

could try adding a little cobalt oxide and manganese to blacken the finished motif.

May want to check that the glaze you are using doesn't move too much as it matures or your design will move also!  Just test with avertical and horizontal test tile before you use it straight onto a bowl.

SMB, if you are doing reduction firing you can get the line described above. In cone 6 oxidation, the iron oxide usually fluxes into the clear glaze. In reduction the iron oxide reduces to metallic iron.

I'm thinking SMB is looking for an iron oxide red, though black would also be appropriate.

If you are going for an old Iroquois pottery look, it would be fired, probably less than cone 06, in a wood/pit fire, and would have areas of oxidation and reduction.

Lee

• 1 month later...

How "brown" is the stoneware when fired? I did some dip tests on red / brown clay body and it didnt show up at all. It did lend an interesing sheen to the clay though. Almost like wood fired. A thicker aplication will give you darker results but you might find it ending up with a rough texture. (I did anyways)

Archived