Milk Bath?

I purchased two mugs from the Ukraine on Amazon that used this milk process. When they arrived, the surface was very rough inside and out. I loved the 'earthy' look but still contacted the seller/artist asking if the mugs needed to be cured in any way. He replied back that they should be soaked in hot water for about two hours. I suggested he include this info online which he said he would going forward. After soaking the mugs, the surface is much smoother. It still has the earthy feel and dark brown color and I'm enjoying the mugs. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@neilestrick...that's a very good question and you have freaked me out. I had a pair of mugs like these a long while back and really enjoyed them so I was looking for something similar. The seller said he's been making stoneware / dinnerware for years. I just emailed him asking him if the mugs are vitrified. He usually responds within a couple of days. I found this site and read thru some of the posts and thought I could learn a lot from the participants. I create sculpture, mostly using the red clay and have enjoyed it for years. I have not been in a position to have my own kiln...maybe one day. I will let you know what I find out. Thx..angelina

If the clay is not vitrified and leaks unless its full of milk its really bad all around. Pots that use milk to seal them or anything other than glaze for food use is a bad idea and its buyer beware deal.

This is a educational issue. No different than I made a car from drift wood and its needs to be driven slowly that why its low cost. Ok maybe some might think wow a wood car what a great idea but its not safe and the milk bath idea is the same  thing.

Whoa..that's beautiful Sorce! And, being porcelain, well its definitely vitrified. Are those for sale? I'm still in conversation with the Ukraine artist about the mugs I purchased. Language barrier is an issue. I did advise him that I need a clear answer to the question or I will, sadly, be returning the product. Will let you know...angelina

28 minutes ago, angelina said:

definitely vitrified.

Definitely Not! 

You can hear it's porous, and it's a bit heavier after soaking. Though I can see how it could serve as an effective "sealant", in the Iron age! Lol!

I was thinking about how we are, more or less bringing these old techniques back, but they are, I don't want to say useless, but surely dated!

The look is marvelous! Thanks for the compliment!

I don't know of I will actively sell any food things. Too worrisome!

Sorce

Also to consider that perhaps in area of Ukraine where this method is practised the folk are "immune" to bugs which will lodge in such were. Taken out of that location and used elsewhere where surfaces,are antibacterial wiped etc our guts may not be ableto deal with bacteria ggoing within such vessels, just saying

• 7 months later...

What helps seal the pores of low-fired ceramics is the CASEIN protein in milk, not the milk fat. There is no protein in milk fat (like butter), so there is no difference in the amount of casein in fat-free milk or full-fat milk. Using fat free milk to soak ceramics would work just as well as full fat, and I would actually prefer using fat-free since fat can go rancid. I'd rather not have milk fat in the pores of my ceramics, just the casein.

Archived