Canvas For Wedging Boards

I wanted my hubs to make an angled box for me that I can cover in canvas for wedging. I knew Joann's Fabric Shop probably wouldn't have a canvas sturdy enough, so I searched online.

Well, I got my order this afternoon and I'm seriously tickled peachy about it. It's really heavy duty and having a lifetime of sewing interest, I can see numerous uses for this!

http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/number10-15oz-cotton-duck-canvas.html I got 2yrds and shipping was only $7. running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

Just so you know, Joann fabrics does have very heavy duty canvas--in their upholstery section.  I got a nice big piece very cheaply because it was the end of the roll.

I wonder if you got the last of that lot because I read on Joanns website reviewers posted they switched over to a cheaper grade of canvas and it was crap made. This is why I sought another source.

I wedge on plain plywood . . . no canvass to trap dust.  Just wipe down with a sponge after wedging.  I keep two 24" square boards -- one for white clay, one for red/brown. 

Thanks for posting this! What kind of plywood do you prefer, because I'd worry about moisture splintering after lots of use?

I think they are 1/2" thick plywood pieces, pre-cut from Home Depot; they have a rack full for projects (Masonite, plywood in various thicknesses and sizes).  I've had the two that I use for wedging for a couple of years; no sign of splintering or warping from moisture.  The surface is untreated.  I do sponge them off after use and let them dry in the studio and I don't leave clay sitting on them directly for long periods.  I was just tired of the dust rising from canvass covered boards.  I even stopped canvass for the slab roller and use slab mats instead.  Same reasons. 

In France this year, in a pottery holiday, our host had 2 plaster bats approx. 24" x 18" x 1 3/4" which we used for wedging and reclaiming clay. When I enquired about these, she told me she bought them at the DIY centre for about €3! I couldn't resist at that price, and went along to the nearest DIY centre. These are plaster panels (Carreaux de platre) that the French use for constructing internal walls - the same product is not available in the UK. I bought one, €3.50 and packed it in the boot of the car for the journey home. You couldn't even buy the plaster of Paris and make your own for that price. No good for US members, but I'd recommend anyone in Europe travelling to France by car to consider this. I got mine from Brico Marche.

Translation from another French site:

Length (in cm): 66

Product Width (cm): 50

Thickness (cm): 7

Learn more

Full tiles in natural smooth plaster facings for the realization of partitions distribution of septa against dubbing in dry rooms. Tongue and groove profile for easy mounting

RRP

€ 4.75 / Unit

Plaster for me as well-mine are really thick tables of plaster-made them in 1972-still use them today-ones for white clay ones for brown. Nothing dries clay as well as plaster-canvas holds dust. wood works for wedging but drying clay???

Mark

If you do not want plaster board or mess around with dusty fabrics, you can always use low-density fiberboard. It's perfect for working with clay. I have them in different sizes so pieces can be moved around. Perfect surface for drying too.

Our main work table is covered with low-density fiberboard.Easy to clean too.

Archived