Gas Kiln Vs. Electric

Guest JBaymore

What are your goals as a ceramist and for a kiln?

List that and not only will it heklp others to make useful suggestions.... but will help you lead yourself to the answer.

best,

.....................john

Look into all the code requirements for a gas kiln, and follow them if you go that route. Get all the necessary permits and inspections. It's the safest way to do it. Do no try to set up a kiln secretly, because if you ever get caught you'll be out a lot of money and effort. Also check with your insurance company about what they will cover. They are usually fine with electric kilns, they just want to know that you have one. Gas kilns are a different issue.

You can set up a very nice electric kiln for less than $4000. Triple that, or more, for a gas kiln, plus the cost of venting and gas lines. The hood, vent and gas line cost me as much as my gas kiln.

and then there is wood B)

We run a 10 cf electric and production is increasing and the need for 2nd glaze kiln is building. The switch from simply setting a firing schedule in motion and going about other business as opposed to walking a firing all the way through is giving me some pause. There is a learning curve as well as added work involved and that is time that has to be shifted from other projects.  

I decided to do a cheap electric conversion to propane just to get a handle on the process and see if it's the direction we want to explore for production. There also seems to be some wood options on the smaller side as well and of course Raku. 

Have you considered this shift in process if you move to gas or wood?

You might want to check out this page on Ward burners about using controllers on a gas kiln. 

http://www.wardburner.com/controllers.html

Guest JBaymore

To me, it comes back to the fact that the absolute first step is answering, "What are the goals and objectives for a new kiln?"  That then leads the whole following thought train.  

-----------------------------------------------------

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don’t much care where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn’t matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"--so long as I get SOMEWHERE," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you’re sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland  -Louis Carroll)

-----------------------------------------------------

best,

................john

They are hard to compare, I would love a gas kiln for its results but I also love my electric kiln for its results. My plan is to find somebody else's gas kiln and convince them to rent space to me and I will happily sit firing my electric kiln with ease. I do enjoy the beauty that real fire adds but it does come with some costs.

Archived