Controled Cooling For Cone 6 Electric

dorie

Guest JBaymore

I recommend you buy "mastering cone 6 glazes" by John hesselberth & Ron Roy

It gives you all the info you need.

Ditto.

Also do searches on the subject on the web. There is a lot of information out there.

Don't expect the "magic formula" exact answer for YOUR specific clay and glazes though. You will have to take an understanding of the general concepts and then do experiments with your specific materials and usages to hone in on what YOU want to accomplish.

best,

.............john

Dorie, I use lots of the glazes from that book, if you like,, I would be happy to share results with you, also have some pictures of my pots with many of them.

I do use a controlled cool, you have to experiment with your kiln to find what peak temp and hol;d will give you the cone 6^ they need.

I do a a slow 90* per hour climb the last 200* up to peak, a 15 minute hold at 2195, then drop temp 500* per hour to 1800, hold for 30 minutes, then 125* per hour down to 1700, then no hold and off. That is a 5 ramp firing, takes me 12 hours in my 7 cubic foot kiln. Good Luck, Happy to share.

Dorie, I use lots of the glazes from that book, if you like,, I would be happy to share results with you, also have some pictures of my pots with many of them.

I do use a controlled cool, you have to experiment with your kiln to find what peak temp and hol;d will give you the cone 6^ they need.

I do a a slow 90* per hour climb the last 200* up to peak, a 15 minute hold at 2195, then drop temp 500* per hour to 1800, hold for 30 minutes, then 125* per hour down to 1700, then no hold and off. That is a 5 ramp firing, takes me 12 hours in my 7 cubic foot kiln. Good Luck, Happy to share.

Thanks for your kind response. Yes, I'd like to see your pix if you'd forward them.

Dorie, I know how to e-mail you pics off my computer, but I don't know how to put them on this board. If someone will privide SIMPLE instructions, I'm happy to learn and show pics. Or you can provide me your e-mail and I will send direct to you.

I'm a better potter than computer geektongue.gif

Guest Sherman

Dorie, I know how to e-mail you pics off my computer, but I don't know how to put them on this board. If someone will privide SIMPLE instructions, I'm happy to learn and show pics. Or you can provide me your e-mail and I will send direct to you.

I'm a better potter than computer geektongue.gif

Clay lover, when you are making a post or replying to a post, just scroll to the bottom of the post window and there is an area with tools to attach files. Simply click on "choose file" and browse to an image file on your computer that you want to upload. I believe the limit is 6MB, but I suggest keeping it well under that. Then just click "attach this file," wait for it to attach and finish the post as usual.

I hope this helps.

Sherman

I just fire to a ^6down hold for 20 -30 minutes. Drop to 1800 hold for 1 hour. cool. You can see an iron red bottom on a mug in my gallery.

I use some glazes that I used in reduction for 20 years. Since retiring and moving I have gone to mostly oxidation and raku.

I use some glazes from Michael Bailey's ^6 book, plus I tweek some glazes to fit my purposes.

I am very satisfied with the firing schedule. It has really helped most of the glazes.

Marcia

I forgot to give you my email address for the pictures of your pots. doriecronin@gmail.com Thanks again.

I'm looking to liven up my cone 6 ox. glazes. Do you controll your glaze cool-down? If so, can you share your schedule? How are the results different from just turning it off?

Thanks, dorie

I just opened my first cone 6 ox glaze load with controlled cooling to 1700 degrees. WOWEE! Thanks folks!! Dorie

• 1 month later...

Before computer controls, once the kiln shut off, wait 15 min, to wedge the catch w/ a used cone and push in the button for 10 min, undo for 20 mins and repeat a couple of times. the more the glazes can soak and ramp down - wahooo.

do not leave kiln unattended!!

Archived