Comparing Low Fire Clay To B Mix

nancylee

Hi all,

I am looking to get very vivid colors such as in pottery from Provence (which BTW, does anyone know what cone that pottery is fired to?) and low fire clay was suggested to me, as my B mix is coming out dull with the underglazes. Really dull. It looked great before I fired it at Cone 5, but the lavenders faded right into the blues. I really was unhappy. I used three different types of underglazes on different pieces.

I have never thrown low fire clay. I found out that if I use red clay, I need to use white slip, and there is a white low fire clay I can use? Can anyone compare it for throwing with the B mix?

Thanks for any info - much appreciated,

Nancy

If the color are vivid from Provence they have to be low fire, the higher you fire the worse the colors fade and gray.  I have tested and found that Cone 1 you can still get vivid colors.  We don't get that many different brands of clay around here but Laguna recommends EM212 low fire white earthenware for throwing.  Denice

I know of no low fire clay that will throw as well as B-mix. 

I know a  potter that work's with low fire and they are a bit harder to throw-

On the b-mix side thats really white stoneware-how about a cone 6 porcelain ?

That will make your colors Pop.

Mark

What brand underglazes did you use?  You can get low-fire white clay bodies with grog and without grog.  Standard also makes a white low-fire without talc . . . to comply with one state that does not allow talc in school clays. 

The Provence wares are usually described as earthenware, so they are likely given a white slip, then decorated and glazed.  Or a majolica glaze with underglaze/engobe/colored slips on top.  Likely low-fired, although that still covers a range of temperatures. 

Archived