Oxide drawing under glaze Japanese Tetsu-e or Sometsuke

cwm

I have been trying Tetsue-e and Sometsuke using iron and cobalt oxides, but the drawings follow the Japanese pottery.

I drew on bis ware and applied transparent glaze and fire in a cone 10 kiln in the community studio. The drawings are washed away/run in the transparent glaze.  At first, I used the transparent glaze in the community studio and the drawings just melted down. Some members of the community studio told me that even commercial underglaze runs a bit in that transparent glaze. After that, I used Mayco zinc-free clear glaze instead. The cobalt drawing is blurred but the silhouette is still maintained but Iron drawing has almost disappeared after the cone 10. Attached is a picture of the iron and colbalt drawings under Mayco zine free.

I once thought that maybe the difference in materials in Japan and the UK made the failure :P until I found the pottery works of Bernard Leach.

What do you think I should do to make it work? Does adding CMC gum or underglaze medium to the oxides help? 

image.png.6c7fc4e21b3674ab9a01c6b577fd4bb4.png

7 hours ago, cwm said:

until I found the pottery works of Bernard Leach.

Bernard Leach recipe for  Gosu painting:

Manganese Oxide (Dioxide) 40

Black Iron Oxide 30

Black Cobalt Oxide 20 (Cobalt Oxide)

Calcined Ochre 10

I've read that in Japan Gosu was done with cobalt pebbles that were imported from China hence Leach calling his mixture Chinese  Cobalt.

Covering glaze has to be stable, if you use a fluid / runny glaze the design will blur.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

For cone 10 see my post in the thread below. In terms of iron  whaing out a stronger iron wash should not degrade much.Just use a NR red iron which is high purity red iron and a dab of water let dry then thin coating the clear over it as mentioned in my posts below

If you need a true semi non fluxing cone 10 clear I can post mine again if needed.-The trick is thin application.Firing hot helps as well to keep it clear.I did post it here long ago -its called HT 51 

Edited by Mark C.

6 hours ago, Mark C. said:

If you need a true semi non fluxing cone 10 clear I can post mine again if needed.-The trick is thin application.Firing hot helps as well to keep it clear.I did pot it herte long ago -its called HT 51 

I found two previous postings of HT 51, embedded in related discussions.
post-8914-0-28610100-1426971680.jpg