Matte clear glaze?

• Hulk locked and unlocked this topic

Yes of course, just a cone 10 matte clear. Maybe I should ask what is your expectation or understanding of the effects of reduction? Anyway, cone 10 matte clear - maybe recipes from glazy.org to test for your desired texture, clarity and fit for your claybody. I should add this may take patience and testing, clear glazes are often difficult to get just the way you want them, regardless of cone.

Bill,

You are spot on when you ask: what are my expectations? I want to sketch on the bisqued stoneware surface with white porcelain slip. I want the slip to have a celadon-like effect ( which I currently can achieve with my clear glaze. ) But I hate the intense sheen the glaze creates on the stoneware. You are correct—I have to test the glazes on my surfaces. However I will also  go to the glaze directory for some answers. 

2 hours ago, Louisemarion47 said:

effect ( which I currently can achieve with my clear glaze. ) But I hate the intense sheen the glaze creates on the stoneware

Can you modify your existing glaze to remove some of the sheen? That is to say if the recipe has a single silica component then remove some to see if you can reduce the sheen to an acceptable level. Might be worth the test or two to see if it still fits and the level of gloss is more satisfactory.
Reduction firing is not really intended  to do this for you, instead it will affect the iron in your clay and your glaze if present so I am curious what reduction effect you are seeking /  expecting. Anyway an idea to get your look with your existing glaze and existing firing habits. Post your recipe if you can.

Edited by Bill Kielb

2 hours ago, Louisemarion47 said:

I want to sketch on the bisqued stoneware surface with white porcelain slip. I want the slip to have a celadon-like effect ( which I currently can achieve with my clear glaze. )

Just to clarify, you have had success applying a porcelain slip to stoneware bisque? Typically slip is applied at soft leatherhard so as to avoid it peeling/eggshelling off the underlying claybody. For bisque application an engobe or underglaze would be the go to choice.

(Semantics, but a clear glaze is going to be gloss, to be semi-matte or matte then by definition it will be translucent or opaque.)

Edited by Min

from Oxford Languages:
matte
/mat/
adjective
(of a color, paint, or surface) dull and flat; without a shine.

How matte is achieved in ceramic glazes, ah, the mechanisms aren't clear, that is, not transparent!
See paragraphs three and four:
Matte Glaze (digitalfire.com)

...I hadn't quite put that together yet, thanks Min!

Edited by Hulk
italICS

On 8/20/2024 at 8:50 AM, Bill Kielb said:

Can you modify your existing glaze to remove some of the sheen? That is to say if the recipe has a single silica component then remove some to see if you can reduce the sheen to an acceptable level. Might be worth the test or two to see if it still fits and the level of gloss is more satisfactory.
Reduction firing is not really intended  to do this for you, instead it will affect the iron in your clay and your glaze if present so I am curious what reduction effect you are seeking /  expecting. Anyway an idea to get your look with your existing glaze and existing firing habits. Post your recipe if you can.

Min and Bill

thank you for your replies  one clarification: I apply the porcelain slip to the leather hard clay  . 
im going to try the reduction of silica in the clear as well  I will post photos of my tests   
My dilemma is that I love the unglazed reduced stoneware  And  I want my slip drawings to “pop” and contrast with the surface of the reduced stoneware . Perhaps I can paint the clear glaze on the slip drawings. 

8 hours ago, Louisemarion47 said:

My dilemma is that I love the unglazed reduced stoneware  And  I want my slip drawings to “pop” and contrast with the surface of the reduced stoneware . Perhaps I can paint the clear glaze on the slip drawings. 

A half-baked thought.

1) Would a self-glazing slip simplify things? In that it would leave the stoneware unglazed, and the slip would not need to be glazed (which sounds tricky to do accurately).

2) Would something like this work?
https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/ceramic-recipes/recipe/Self-Glazing-Slip-183263#
... although that's for cone 6.

3) Or perhaps a parian slip?
https://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/Products/stoneware-porcelain-clay/PW101
image.php?filename=pw101.jpg&stockcode=P
4) Or could you do something similar with efflorescence: e.g. "soda-wash" in the slip. Although you might get a glazed halo round the slip.

5) And would things still work in reduction?

2 minutes ago, Louisemarion47 said:

Whoa, these are great suggestions and so generous to think about my “dilemma “. I never heard of a self glazing slip but I love the concept and will definitely try this. Thank you. 

@PeterHlet me add that I’m not afraid to try anything in the propane reduction kiln (cone10). I have gotten some beautiful albeit unorthodox results. Again thank you Peter