QotW:What ceramic event or destination do you consider a must see? I’m thinking of pilgrimages or a bucket list items. I have a small list, of places I think would be a blast, inspirational, and educational.

As a follow up to last weeks QotW,  @Kelly in AK  asked What ceramic event or destination do you consider a must see? I’m thinking of pilgrimages or a bucket list items. I have a small list, of places I think would be a blast, inspirational, and educational.

This is an interesting topic for discussion, and one that I have a few thoughts on.  I have been going to NCECA conferences for several years when they are in the East. I think I am at the end of those, but they have been fun if a bit expensive. I have also done the Randolph Conferences in NC a while back, and they were cheaper and pretty high quality as they go in great demonstrators over the years. Given all of that, I can only think of one bucket list, and that would be to go to Korea, Japan or China to do a pottery tour. Probably will not get there, but we mentioned must see's!

QotW:What ceramic event or destination do you consider a must see? I’m thinking of pilgrimages or a bucket list items. I have a small list, of places I think would be a blast, inspirational, and educational.

best,

Pres

I always thought Greece would be the country to visit.   I have always felt that the Greek civilization was the first to appreciate art and create it with clay and stones that they had to work with  Making everyday wares such as a water jug into a piece of art that could be enjoyed by everyone.  I will never make it there (too much walking)  but I can make a piece of Greek art anytime I feel the urge.    Denice

Soak it all in for me,  years ago I was studying Greek, Minoan and Roman burial practices.  Having so little earth for burial they would cremate the person and put the ashes with a few bits of jewelry in the urn and bury it.   When another person died they would add their ashes and jewelry to the same urn.  They would continue to do this until the urn was full,  a entire family could be buried in one urn.  I was so impressed be this practice I made my self a Greek burial urn.   When I took it out of the kiln and tried to stand it up  I  was reminded they had round bottoms because they laid down in the graves.   I quickly made a ring that matched the urn to stand it in.   I still have the urn standing in a corner of my house,  people often ask about it.   When I tell them about it they give me a puzzled look.   Once they get to know me they realize making a urn is perfectly normal for me.   Denice

I think everyone should attend NCECA at least once. It's really the best way to connect with people from across the continent, get some education, and see a lot of really great work, all in a very short time.

I have a small group of students who attend at least one workshop every year at Arrowmont. I think that type of immersive week long workshop, wherever it may be, can be a great way to get inspired and try new things. They always come back energized and eager to work.

For someone like me, or production potters, or teachers who spend all day working in the ceramics environment, going places that don't have anything to do with ceramics can be a real inspiration. It's good to take a break and recharge your batteries and not have to think about clay for a few days. However, I will inevitably see things while traveling that inspire me to try something new in the studio, and it's exciting to have those moments since they're not being sought out.

( going places that don't have anything to do with ceramics can be a real inspiration. It's good to take a break and recharge your batteries and not have to think about clay for a few days. However, I will inevitably see things while traveling that inspire me to try something new)

Yes my 5 weeks fall underwater dive trip fits that bill nicely

Every vacation we have taken we visit a art or history museum usually both.   We even  will stop  when we take one of our cars to a car show.  Small towns will come up with a tour of a theater.  old library, small factories anything to get some more tourist pocket money.  One town tour took us to honey shop and encouraged to buy organic honey, a historic soda shop was next,  it was hot out  so my husband and  I split a expensive soda.   Our last stop was a old hardware store, bought some insect spray.    We  always try to find something to buy in small towns,  the stories are always hanging on by a thread.   It doesn't matter to me what we tour I see art and design in everything I look at.    Denice

Sideline trips are great. Years ago, I went to Chicago by train to see a Demo by John Glick...one day at A.R.T. The week before I had broken my glasses in a strange vertical break, repaired with glue up the middle of the lense. Then they day before I felt sick at school, but got on the train Friday afternoon. Went right to the hotel, layed down for a nap before dinner,m and woke next morning at 8:30. Conference started at 9. I jumped in the rental and rushed to ART, with the Demo already begun. Great demo everything I could have wished for in the way of throwing and handbuilding. That night good dinner, great night sleep, but the next morning what to do with about 5-6 hrs before the train?  Not knowing anything of the area, found an art related address and went to the Art Institute of Chicago , and got the greatest surprise to see the  A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Seurat. Big surprise. . . really big! then numerous pieces of pottery and several Georgia O'Keefe's to mention a few. . . . what a side trip for an exhausted art teacher!

best,

Pres 

Isn't it great when life gives you a gift.  When I was in college  I did a research paper on Andrew Wyeth,   I found out they were having a show of his work at the Art Institute in Kansas City.   So we packed a lunch and hopped into my husband's  68 AMX.   When we got there they asked for our reservations,  we were college kids.  The ideas of having to have reservations to see a show never entered our minds.   When they found out that I was working on a art degree and had driven almost 200 miles they decided to let us in.   There was only four other people there,  I am not sure why there was a need for reservations.     We spent the rest of the day visiting other museums and galleries,  we had a wonderful day.   We still have the AMX  and can afford to buy lunch.  I usually pack one anyways.   Years later Wyeth's work became real popular with Japan,  all of his work was bought  and now resides in Japan.    Denice