Modifying white glaze

Hi, Anyone have any ideas as to how i can turn my white shiny glaze and white matt glaze ,both stoneware, into something more subdued and off white please?  ( not so keen on magnolia )

5 minutes ago, Discus said:

Hi Min ...these are ones I have mixed from online recipes...glazy .org

Can you share them with us. There may be several different things you can do, depending on what's already in the recipes.

Hah no...sorry , embarrassing!, (on double checking) the ones I specifically need to change are actually premixed powdered dipping glazes...are there simple additives , as per colouring up base glazes, I can use ?

Dealing with commercial glazes makes things a bit tricky, because we don’t know what’s in them, or the exact mechanism they’re using to create a matte, but it’s not impossible.

If your supplier has a matte and a gloss glaze that both come in dry mix, you could try combining them in different proportions to get the finish you want. Start with 80% matte and 20% gloss, +/- 5 and 10% either side. As far as making it more off white, you could try adding small percentages of rutile to warm it up a little. 

When adjusting white glazes, make sure to use larger test tiles than you normally would. A small square of white glaze will look much like any others, but when you apply them on even a 250g cup you’ll start to see the subtleties. Things like how much, or even if it breaks and pools, what colour does it break, are there any glaze flaws evident, how much does thickness of application matter, etc.