Need Help Repairing a sparking Old Amaco Electric Wheel No.1-101

I was gifted an old High School Amaco electric two speed wheel No. 1-101 and every time I switch speeds after I’ve been using it for over a minute, it sparks.  Orange and red sparks coming from the motor… I don’t have manual and I have no clue what’s wrong. After throwing for about an hour it starts to smell. 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

Hi SacredDrop, Welcome to the Forum!

The motor might need a clean up, and/or new brushes? ...could have a bad switch, faulty winding (particularly if the two speeds are achieved via two separate windings)?
Identifying and correcting the problem(s) might extend the life of the motor*.
Finding an electric motor shop that can help - I see there are several in the Boise area - might take some looking and luck.
Can the motor be repaired? Is it worthwhile?
From Boise Electric Motor Repair webpage: "We repair pumps and motors of any kind."

*the sparking and heat (and hence, smells) may reduce the life of the motor...

They are still in business so a call to Amaco might be revealing. They also seem to sell Amaco motors as well as brushes on their site. Maybe matchup to what you have. Your motor hopefully has a nameplate. Amaco website https://shop.amaco.com/equipment/parts/brent/wheel-motors/

Edited by Bill Kielb