Videos of people making relief decorations in monochrome...

I'm thinking about how I decorate the surface of my teapots. It'd really help to see some videos of people making things like flowers and other nature theamed decoration on the surface of smaller clay objects.

What good videos are out there?

I've found a lot on "texturing" -- but I want to do more realistic decorations like this:

jing-tea-shop_yixing_GMP1.jpg

Of course it need not be teapot-- though if it focuses on Chinese themes even better!

i do this, not on teapots though.

to try it, make a thick slip using the slurry from throwing and crushed, broken up pieces of bone dry clay body. put the whole mess into a blender and turn it on. you are looking for about the consistency of a milkshake. let it sit for a day or so, then just paint the flowers or whatever you like on the pot just after it has been made and just dry enough not to shine. you want to keep the whole pot covered with plastic. add a layer of slip every few hours or days until it is of sufficient thickness. this depends on your humidity level, dry country requires tight wrapping to keep it from drying up too much. if it does, just spray it with water and continue adding slip. then carve it to the shape you like and let it dry slowly until it is thoroughly dry and ready to bisque.

i hope i can post a photo of the red fox i did. its nose sticks out an inch from the plate it is on. too bad the plate broke.

hope this makes sense. it is late and i painted half of the studio today. bedtime, brain is fried.

i would also guess those are sprigged details. make a simple positive from clay with a good amount of relief, then slap some plaster over the top of it for a quick sprigging mold/stamp. you could even do this by carving into a piece of clay and bique it. this will be the best method for results you can easily duplicate. next method would be to hand-form the details with either fresh clay or a thick slip to trail on the surface. i'm sure you can find some videos on youtube these days that will get you in the general area you're looking for.

Guest JBaymore

The relief work on good Yixing is not sprigged. Each element of such designs is hand done with remarkable precision (and the ability to replicate items at a very high level).

I was watching an undergrad class on a very similar type of surface technique at Wuxi Institute of Arts and Technology (in Yixing) a couple of weeks ago, and the painstaking time taken with every movement and the intense focus of each student was what struck me the most.

While the cheap stuff might involve sprigging.... the decent pots don't.

post-1543-136925093954_thumb.jpg

post-1543-136925097067_thumb.jpg

best,

..............john

The relief work on good Yixing is not sprigged. Each element of such designs is hand done with remarkable precision (and the ability to replicate items at a very high level).

I was watching an undergrad class on a very similar type of surface technique at Wuxi Institute of Arts and Technology (in Yixing) a couple of weeks ago, and the painstaking time taken with every movement and the intense focus of each student was what struck me the most.

While the cheap stuff might involve sprigging.... the decent pots don't.

best,

..............john

Maybe when you don't have anything else to do (imagine an emoticon of your choice here), you could post about your trip. I know I'm interested and I bet a lot of other people here are, too. Pictures like those here are fascinating.

Jim

Archived