Pigtail broke, do I have to have a new element?

I feel dumb for not leaving a little extra but long story short, I had to move my studio and must have smashed something against it and weakened the connection. My first firing at the new place and bisque never even made it to temp.

How important is that little insulator? I have a connector and could crimp it back on but not with the insulator in place. The resistance shows the element is still good and I could replace the insulator next time I do elements.

What say ye?

20240303_133258.jpg.442573d0a64558ea1eba87d4c4360832.jpg

You absolutely need the insulator to keep the live electric from touching anything metal. The only way I have been able to fix something like that (temporary fix) is to torch the end of the element and unwind it while red hot to restore enough of a pigtail. Careful unwinding and torch work keeping the areas being worked red hot can get you a single or double strand pigtail without shattering your element to pieces. This is usually a temporary fix, not forever, as the resistance of this element will be slightly lower. I always tell folks to plan on new elements in the near future - most have not and just fired until next replacement.

quit using crimp connectors and get the better clamp ones from Euclids-If you had the clamps you only need a short wire to get it to clamp. I have extra insulators so I would grind one down on my bench grinder and that would expose enough pitail to clean and clamp and on with the show. Creative fix is needed.

3 hours ago, Mark C. said:

I can grind an insulator  down and send it along with a clamp if needed?

I'd replace the element. Even ground down there's not going to be much you can clamp onto there. Better to have a good connection.