Bought new messed up kiln want it to get to life

Hello potters,

first time posting,

bought a second hand potterycrafts p5975 but from the look and furniture i think its new and the the first owner tried to convert it to a manual kiln with no luck,

i have no experience with kilns and this is my first kiln kindly help me to get back to life,

1-the wires of the controller has been cut and connected directly to power source, i want to reconnect all the wires into original places but i don’t want to connect something wrong and miss up the kiln

2-the thermocouple is broken, tried to order new one from potterycrafts but there is a lot of options and I don’t know which one fits my kiln,

3-the controller is missing and im planning on ordering cera10 from potterycrafts but i was wondering if i can find used one for lower price or better options from cera controller, 

Thank you in advance 

IMG_0620.jpeg.f1bb86c66579e46afbecb7f5421a6f75.jpegIMG_0621.jpeg.e17c3614b95d21d03b6770a094454147.jpegIMG_0612.jpeg.60c8f141c116257388be80b0ea074b87.jpegIMG_0615.jpeg.27044a7952aacc498304e36b21b62dae.jpegIMG_0613.jpeg.218b965a2ef93a0fd036c6884430fb17.jpegIMG_0614.jpeg.3b07ef0ca483c68f028bb21e99067bd7.jpegIMG_0617.jpeg.63c701fb8c2c734c2a4b0cdf1410f32a.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg

Hi Nawaf,

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not finding a wiring diagram for that kiln.

The cut wires (third and fourth images), each color is unique, that could help?

Edited by Hulk
(bump thread)

1 hour ago, Hulk said:

Hi Nawaf,

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not finding a wiring diagram for that kiln.

The cut wires (third and fourth images), each color is unique, that could help?

Thank you for your reply,

I actually reconnected controller socket wires,

and i find out how to connect mains,

kindly check the pictures and correct me if I’m wrong,

if i want 3 phase i need to connect as the diagram but there is 250v fuse or something which single phase voltage do i need to remove it ?

IMG_0719.jpeg.4a12c4dad882c999429ca5dffca33fb4.jpeg

and if i want to connect single phase i connect ground to green and black to neutral and the red to one of L1 L2 L3

but i was wondering if there is any advantage of 3 phase over single phase,

i have the ability to connect either only extra cost for 3 phase cable from the DP,

IMG_0717.jpeg.d63e68197dc219ccc5cbe6f344dddb48.jpegIMG_0718.jpeg.736929b48e3539fb87166ff287f1f8e2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hulk said:

Check to see if this Operating Manual matches your unit?
There's wiring diagrams at the end.
Note the thermocouple spec, page thirteen.
See also the current/power specs...

Topworker P59750 P59760 P59770 P59590 manual A.pdf (wsimg.com)

I can’t find which thermocouple exactly i have to order from the manual, 

but i have measured the length it’s around 125mm, 

IMG_0721.jpeg.088654f46fe73c68dffcb7dcc412767c.jpeg

I highly recommend you contact the manufacturer before rewiring this. Switching between single and 3 phase will affect amperage draw, and may require new elements or wiring as a result. Without direct knowledge of this kiln we can't make any recommendations here. They can also tell you which thermocouple you need.

1 minute ago, neilestrick said:

I highly recommend you contact the manufacturer before rewiring this. Switching between single and 3 phase will affect amperage draw, and may require new elements or wiring as a result. Without direct knowledge of this kiln we can't make any recommendations here. They can also tell you which thermocouple you need.

I have contacted them 6 days back but unfortunately there is no reply,

can’t wait to start my new journey 

i was hoping to find the help here in the community 

5 minutes ago, Nawaf said:

I have contacted them 6 days back but unfortunately there is no reply,

can’t wait to start my new journey 

i was hoping to find the help here in the community 

Call them directly if you can. We only have a handful of folks in Europe who regularly participate in the forum who may have knowledge of that particular kiln. One of them may chime in, but your best bet is always the manufacturer.

As far as single 3 or phase goes, look though the wiring diagrams and see what the amperage draw is for each setup, as that will determine what size breaker you need. Follow local codes for properly sizing the breaker.

Unfortunately they didn't color code their wiring diagram, so that's going to make things more difficult.

19 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Call them directly if you can. We only have a handful of folks in Europe who regularly participate in the forum who may have knowledge of that particular kiln. One of them may chime in, but your best bet is always the manufacturer.

As far as single 3 or phase goes, look though the wiring diagrams and see what the amperage draw is for each setup, as that will determine what size breaker you need. Follow local codes for properly sizing the breaker.

Unfortunately they didn't color code their wiring diagram, so that's going to make things more difficult.

Thank you for your reply 

the single phase is 32amp and 3 phase is 10amp,

but i was wondering which one is better for the kiln or both have the same results for the kiln 

10 minutes ago, Nawaf said:

but i was wondering which one is better for the kiln or both have the same results for the kiln 

Results will be the same, but they may or may not use the same elements for each wiring setup. By the math if you wire the single phase as three phase it's going to pull 18.5 amps, not 10, so I don't know what's going on there. Very different wire size requirements for those amperages, too. It doesn't appear to be as simple as just picking one or the other.

I would just email/ring pottery crafts for the circuit diagram so you knows what goes where.

A lot of uk kilns seem set up for a simple swap from single to three phase. You will need a much bigger breaker and wire going to the kiln for single phase but the internals should stay the same. Most of the three phase just use each leg as it's own 240v supply.

34 minutes ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

I would just email/ring pottery crafts for the circuit diagram so you knows what goes where.

A lot of uk kilns seem set up for a simple swap from single to three phase. You will need a much bigger breaker and wire going to the kiln for single phase but the internals should stay the same. Most of the three phase just use each leg as it's own 240v supply.

Unfortunately been one month without reply from Potterycrafts, so i have to figure it out myself,

this is what i thought about the wiring, I’ll wire it to 3 phase,

Thank you for your reply 

15 minutes ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

I have the diagram for a different kiln but it looks pretty similar, mine is just a bit smaller. The website seems to be compressing it so I will find another upload.

https://freeimage.host/i/JVcrpSa

KilnCircuit.jpg

It’s clear,

but do you know if it’s ok to use 40amp breaker instead of 10amp as suggested,

i have 40amp installed in the panel and im planning to replace it with 10amps

On 3/1/2024 at 3:59 PM, Hulk said:

Check to see if this Operating Manual matches your unit?
There's wiring diagrams at the end.
Note the thermocouple spec, page thirteen.
See also the current/power specs...

Topworker P59750 P59760 P59770 P59590 manual A.pdf (wsimg.com)

Didn't realise Hulk had found the right diagram ages ago :lol:.

I don't think it's a good idea to use a 40amp breaker if they suggest 10. The 250v fuse or something is connected to the coil that switches the relay and you should leave it there.

Edited by High Bridge Pottery