Hairline cracks along seams on slab built peices

Hello all,

I have been working on this slab bout peice for quite along time a lot has gone wrong but I’m finally happy with it. I don’t usually slab build which I think is the problem anyhow cracks have developed along the seams small hairline cracks, I’m afraid of firing and the finding out the cracks get even bigger or that the peice suddenly falls apart as my deadline is creeping up. While handling the peice in a leather hard state a wall shattered, instead of replacing the whole slab I patched the peices broken off back in with coils and plenty of slip. No matter how much it tried to repair it in a leather hard state the cracks reappeared so I’ve let it completely dry out etching into the crack using malt vinegar and a clay slip to fill it in. Letting it dry naturally and still nothing. The clay I'm using is meant for handbulding and has quite a lot of grog in. I’ve tried being patient but unsure on what to try next.

C5683F7A-9115-46C8-8D9B-AD2694E908CF.jpeg

5667E92E-8C81-448D-889D-98EF4659605D.jpeg

Since you have a deadline, it may be impossible to remake the piece in time. In that case, I would go ahead and fire the piece. Those cracks are not likely to expand to the point of destruction unless additional stress is put on it during the firing. You may need to accept the modifications to your piece as part of the process, maybe even emphasizing stress lines with glaze or coloration to incorporate them - an “I meant to do that” approach :ph34r:

If there’s a possibility of completing a new piece in time (using and improving on what you have learned so far) I recommend that you make two or three at the same time as insurance, or at least the greater likelihood, of a piece completed as you envisioned. And maybe you’ll have a series! 

Initially I wanted to make 3 peices so if this happened I’d have options over the span of a month I only completed this peiece to a level that I was happy with. (the others warped, cracked came apart) So was distraught when I broke it and then these cracks appeared. I fear I’ve learnt nothing from the process but to never build intricate geometric forms by slab building. I have 3 weeks left and will just try my best to get another one done this time using the thicker slabs and another clay with less grog. I do like your idea about embracing the stress lines although I hope that the glaze I use will fuse everything together. Overall just disappointing that’s it’s not structurally a strong peice which also has an impact on aesthetic, also that I feel I’ve learnt next to nothing. Thank you all for your help!