Matte Sealer for Velvet Underglazes?

Have recently been working with Amaco's velvet underglazes, with clear gloss over some areas of decorative plates and other areas left matte (cone 5). Amaco had previously informed me that they had not done any tests with their velvet underglazes if left matte/velvet and could  not vouch for the velvet finish being archival. These are purely decorative plates btw, not used with food.  

There appears to be only one glaze (out of Australia) that can be used as a matte sealer which does not visually alter the original surface. Unfortunately, it's only sold in large quantities and quite expensive to ship. Thankfully a spray booth has recently been set up at the studio, which will enable me to try out clear matte/velvet  glazes, with as few coats as necessary, since they usually become cloudy and lighten the underglaze colors they're applied over.  Any success with clear matte glazes (without fogging) at cone 5?  Would like them to become archival.  Thanks!

Attached below: Circle designs have clear gloss glaze over them, with velvet matte surface on the rest.IMG_5092.jpeg.65dd94b616232ec3bcbc20ed8201e23f.jpeg

Hmm, I don’t not know if I fully understand. Underglazes are not glaze and often consist primarily of clay and stain. Many do not really melt so unglazed they are very matte but more sintered than melted hence durability or longevity would be difficult to guarantee. For a gloss finish it’s common to apply clear gloss glaze over the underglaze. For matte appearance with reasonable durability it’s also common to use matte clear glaze over the top of the underglaze. Any clear matte will cloud to some extent because of the diffraction of light. Thin application definitely better than thick as far as glaze clarity. As far as a glaze that works for you and your clay and the desired finish you will likely need to test.

If you look on Glazy.org Marcia’s matte https://glazy.org/recipes/19734. Was created to be very dry ( but easily adjustable) and melt over fairly heavy underglazes. It has great reviews, but it may not work for your clay, desired aesthetic, etc…. Sadly clear glazes often tend to take testing to meet an artists needs. There are many matte glaze recipes though - which one works for you will require testing.

Edited by Bill Kielb

during the 1990s, i made some bluebird hanging ornaments for a fair.  they were cut with a cookie cutter and the bottom half was done with only red Velvet underglaze.  the top half was dipped into a blue glaze.   i still have one or two of them and there has been no change in them.   they do get dirty and i can wash them but still no color change.

Edited by oldlady
add

Thanks for suggestions! May go in w/ a couple buddies for this product:

https://madeofaustralia.com/liquid-quartz/

It is a food safe, permeating sealer designed for use on unglazed ceramic ware, rendering it waterproof, stain resistant, & yet completely unchanged in appearance. 

Liquid Quartz can be applied to all unglazed, stable, porous surfaces; bisque ware, vitrified ceramic ware (yes it is still porous) & alternatively fired clay bodies (pit, smoke, saggar, barrel, naked raku) to create an invisible, long lasting, protective barrier against moisture, food juices, & other contaminants.

Made from SiO2 (or Silicon Dioxide/Silica), a naturally occurring oxide & one of the most abundant minerals found in the Earth’s crust, most commonly in the form of Quartz. It is used extensively in the production of glass, glazes, underglazes, clay body stains as well as terracotta, earthenware, stoneware & porcelain clays. It is highly abrasion resistant (7 on the Mohs scale) & thermal shock absorbing.

There is a thread link below about Liquid Quartz with another link within that thread with more discussion on it.

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/30248-liquid-quartz/

What was the definition for archival from Amaco? Seems odd that they market their velvets for use with or without a covering glaze but could not say the velvet finish was archival. 

2 hours ago, Min said:

There is a thread link below about Liquid Quartz with another link within that thread with more discussion on it.

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/30248-liquid-quartz/

What was the definition for archival from Amaco? Seems odd that they market their velvets for use with or without a covering glaze but could not say the velvet finish was archival. 

Thanks for link. I agree with you, Min - thought it odd as well.  Why use the description 'velvet' when it can't really be used in that form? Being the priciest of underglazes, I had hoped they would have better customer support. It's possible that the answer is 'not archival', but they didn't want to say. According to Amaco, they didn't bother testing them out in their velvet form, because they're intended to be only under another glaze, end of story.

Ben, have you seen the work of Jeffery Nichols? He uses unglazed Velvet underglazes on the outside of his pots. Might be worth trying to contact him and asking if he has any research or further info on the durability of unglazed Velvets. Logically they are similar to a highly pigmented stained slip, just with less clay and more flux. 

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/article/The-Twenty-Year-Teapot-A-Potter-Discusses-the-Lengthy-Process-of-Developing-His-Voice-in-Pottery-and-Shares-His-Teapot-Making-Technique-Too

Pots by Jeffery Nichols

image.png.7174d598faa33a26ebe2c0c1b31faaf0.png

• 2 months later...

Thanks Min for the link. Nichols did say: "After firing, I coat the underglaze surface with a food-safe oil sealant (like Salad Bowl Finish, available from home centers) and wax used by woodworkers. This seals the outside surface and makes it fairly durable, but check the instructions on the containers for care and use of these products."

Doesn't seem like it would be a very durable surface for something that holds heat, like a teapot, but it seems to work for him. "Fairly" might be the key word there. I would guess the underglaze color would change/deepen with the application of anything oil-based (which may be desired). 

A UV blocking spray might be helpful for non-utilitarian objects, if it's permanent. I may still contact Nichols about his ongoing experiences with underglazes, since Amaco does not fully know about their products. Likely having a clear glaze coating would legally leave them off the hook for any food safety issues and possible leaching chemicals.