Mixing mason stains with porcelain clay

Nae12_27

I've been experimenting with making colored porcelain throwing clay by mixing in Mason stains but all the warm colors disappear after being fired. I'm a ceramics student and in our studio we fire at cone 6. I need advice on if there are other brands of stains or pigments that won't burn out at cone 6. It's mostly the warm colors that I need help with. If anyone has advice I would love to here from experienced potters.

The experience you're having is common. It really depends upon your clay and which stains you have available. For consistent results you would be better to stick with cool colors. (Blue for instance. )

It will also require testing on your part. (Lots of testing.)  Generally speaking, at cone 6, you will only get "soft" color. If you want an opaque saturated color you should try lowering your temperature. (Try using an 04 earthenware clay body instead.)

For an idea of what's possible in the realm of colored clay you can look at Josef Wedgewood "Jasperware". He made it many many years ago before Mason was a company. It will give you an idea what colors are easiest in this area. 

Chris Campbell, one of our members has been inactive here for some time.   she makes all kinds of colors from pale yellow and pink to darker colors.   check her albums for some examples of her fabulous work with shading and blending.   computer illiterate here, maybe you can see her previous posts.  look under chris campbell pottery for several articles and photos of her work.

Edited by oldlady
correction