colorobbia underglaze questions

judyfunk

Hi, All,

Recently restored my kiln and want to use commercial underglazes, but my go to was Duncan Concepts and they have been sort of discontinued. My vendor carries Stroke and Coat, which I fear are too translucent. They do not have The Amaco velvets offer Colorobbia underglazes in a wide color range but I can't find out anything about them. Does anyone have experience with this brand? 

4 hours ago, judyfunk said:

Still curious about Colorobbia, though. Many PaintYourOwn studios buy from Bisque Imports and Colorobbia is what they're now carrying.

One of the concerns with underglaze is how it reacts to temperature. While I have no favorite brand colors at lowfire temps often can be much more vibrant. Additionally color shifts with various over glazes can be an issue. Just mentioning because paint your pottery generally favor lowfire stuff for energy use and …… bright colors. The only way to know for sure is with testing. A brief search of the web seems to Indicate low firing temperatures for colorobia.

IMG_4198.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

Don’t discount the Stroke and Coat. While they’re technically a glaze, it behaves like an underglaze that happens to go glossy. It’s quite stiff, and if you don’t cover it with a suitable clear at earthenware temps, it can show raised brush lines. They’re smooth at cone 6. I have not found them to be translucent at all. I have a friend who runs a paint your own pottery place, and they use them as underglazes, with a coat of clear over top. They don’t run or blur.