Are there any additives to make a commercial glaze craze at cone 6?

Hi Kathryn,

Welcome to the Forum!

Good questions.
Given a good glaze fit (no crazing), some adjustments could be made to induce crazing, which would likely start with a few cracks where the glaze is thickest and where there is more stress - a wide pattern*.

However, making adjustments is more straightforward when the glaze recipe/formula is available, so, broadly speaking, adjustment can be made while other glaze qualities remain fairly constant - when it melts, how glossy, how much it sags/runs, color, et cetera...

I'm curious to see further discussion on the topics!

*In the other direction, eliminating crazing, if the craze pattern is large (just a few cracks), adjustment to a good fit might be possible, however, if the craze pattern is fine/small, the required adjustment may be out of reach...

this would be for decorative work like the outside of a vase.  I have no control over the firing schedule but have been told it is a standard cone 6. I have commercial paint on glazes and the studio has dipping glazes. I will see if I can get the recipe for the clear and the gloss white studio glazes.  

You can run into problems of dunting (a type of cracking of the pot) when using glazes that have fairly different coefficients of expansion (COE). The crazed glaze is going to have a higher COE than a non crazed liner glaze. You could use the same crazed glaze both inside and outside the vase but make sure the clay you use has a low enough absorption to not leak. Absorption should be below 1 - 1.5% for functional work, including vases. Link here for how to test for absorption if you need it. https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/article/Testing-1-2-3-How-to-Test-Clay-Bodies-to-Find-the-Right-Sculpture-or-Pottery-Clay-for-Your-Work#:~:text=The weight calculation test is,weight of the absorbed water.