INVENTORYING WORKS?   What would you recommend as efficient, easily identifiable and accessible storage systems for ceramic sculptures and ceramic vessels.  I've created too many works to store and have not developed a flexible storage system.  I've photographed works but occasionally attached a photograph that is missing one or two pieces.  Between taking the photo, downloading the photo, printing the photo and attaching the photos I've made several switches.  I've now reached the point where my storage is full and I need to triage works, but that's another forum discussion.  In the meantime I'd like to nail down an inventory list.   I would greatly appreciate your advice.  Many thanks. 

Edited by Greg H

• Greg H changed the title to Efficient storage methods for easy identification?

I think the first step would be to identify what you want the storage and inventory system to  be able to do, and what about your current setup is working and not working. Also, we need to know what you have to work with. Do you have a dedicated space that is art-only just needs reorganizing or are things scattered in different areas and is next to your Christmas decorations? Is it convenient to access and do you need it to be? What kind of things are you storing and why? Someone storing sculptural pieces long term for eventual collectors or galleries  is going to have different requirements than a potter storing work between shows.

Answering that before you even start taking inventory is important, because I’m going to suggest setting aside a day to set up a photo station and documenting things as you take inventory, and what else you need to record will be informed by that. 

Good question Greg.
I'm sorry I don't have an answer.

Storage where the wares aren't visible can be more challenging. heh.

Ah, Callie's post just came in! Good questions.

I'll add, when and why will you be taking wares out of storage (an extension of Callie's first question), and how many (one, a set, a representative sampling, ?) at a time?

Marking the containers with strings* that correspond to files** might streamline the process, cutting out printing and affixing images.

Mainly I just wanted to bump your thread...

A way to get rid of ware, err, make room for new wares ...has to be part of the plan!

*string - names! Your naming convention(s) could be descriptive/helpful?
Whatever is important to you could be included (within reason, err, up to a point), class/shape, size, clay, glaze, pattern, date...
e.g. six inch bowl, red clay, Clear Blue glaze, 2022, A1 "grade" - B6RCB22A1
...I'd think about naming conventions for a long while afore committing...
Containers having a similar class/shape of wares, from a particular era, finished similarly, could cut down on searching.

**files
   images, renamed to match the ware names
   text file, sortable might be handy, so spreadsheet, perhaps a line entry for each ware, where each line has columns for any data you might want to sort/search on...

Edited by Hulk
where ware

I would sort them into Need Sooner and Need Later to decide how to inventory.

Photos, which fade, and even cumbersome written descriptions, on the storage boxes are useful for Long Term, but, as you’ve noted, become quickly outdated for tracking inventory churn unless you become very disciplined about documentation.

Bar codes linked with photo, description and location information, cross-referenced, all on your phone or laptop would be tidy and efficient, as long as you update the information religiously in the records and on the boxes.

If you have an orderly mind, you can devise a spreadsheet to do most of that, with identifying labels that you print or write up as needed. 

For inventory, I use a spreadsheet. I head the columns to tell me what I want to know  and use separate worksheets for each broad category (ex. Bowls and Trays)   I use alpha codes for types of ware (ex. BW = bowl, TR=tray) and then a number (BW13; TR11). I take a pic of the piece & insert a tiny thumbnail in the sheet row for that piece. I write the code (Item No.) on masking tape & put that on the bottom of the piece.  I make columns for the other things I want to know, like glaze/clay body info, size, type of fire, price, physical location (in storage/box4,  or at Lisa's Boutique, etc. , whether it's on my webpage,  plus status: sold-NFS- gifted, whatever I want to keep track of. Always have a col. for Notes (like TR11 is in storage, but needs refire)

• 3 weeks later...