Legalities of installing a kiln

s6x

I just called my insurance company to see if they would have an issue with me installing a ceramic kiln in my basement.  They had no clue what a ceramic kiln was and couldn't give me an answer.   I also called the building department of my town and they didn't know either what a ceramic kiln was, but told me I would probably need to apply for a permit and get an inspection.   Has anyone experience in this area?  I want to make sure I'm fully covered if there's ever a fire... 

Good question!
I don't have an answer, mainly just wanted to give your thread a "bump"...
...and suggest trying your insurance company again, as you might get another person on the line.
As for the building department, my guess would be that permits and inspections for any alterations/additions (electrical, plumbing, etc.) would be of interest to them.

Meanwhile, for your consideration:
  new smoke and CO detectors;
  functional primary and secondary ventilation*;
  correct wiring, including proper fusing/breakers;
  commitment to attending throughout each firing - the entire time the kiln is over 451°F;
  placing new/serviceable fire extinguishers at the kiln and all approaches to the kiln.

*primary: powered kiln vent that pulls a tiny stream of superheated kiln atmosphere from the bottom of the kiln and pushes it outside via a dedicated vent
secondary: overhead system that evacuates hundreds of cubic feet per minute via dedicated venting

important note for both: provision for "make up air" is critical - air must be allowed "in" to make up for what is being pushed "out"

Hope that helps.

Did you use the term 'ceramic kiln'? Did you explain what it is? That term may not mean anything to them. I'm betting that if you said 'pottery kiln' they would get it, because most people have had some sort of experience with pottery during their childhood or college years. You might just have to explain it to them, and maybe give them some links to the kiln manufacturer's website. Which insurance company? The town will want to inspect it, and if they don't know anything about it they will generally defer to the manufacturer's recommendations for installation.

You might refer to it as a "thermally insulated oven" or "chamber"?

Presuming you're in New York, you might google "NY Building Code kilns" and see what you get. (Just change the state if you're not in NY.)

My state, Minnesota, publishes its building code on a public domain website. Its the full code, so it takes patience to look through the whole thing, but if you're lucky it's indexed well so you can find it sooner than later.

yes, using the right name helps a lot.   an "electric kiln" could be another alternative.   cities do not know much and your insurance company will want to be very conservative.   do pronounce the "n" for them.

if you are in rochester new york, there is a fabulous pottery there.  talk to potters who live in your town.