Michael G Parry Thomas

Hi

I have made a  Torsional Viscometer 

I wanted something where I could measure the viscosity using a laboratory instrument as with anything like this t.ype of equipment can be very expensive
I decided to use my 3D printer to make a fully working  Torsional viscometer. The viscometer is very accurate and every part can be replaced and upgraded.

Parts not printed consist of :-

Purchased from eBay

1. Stainless steel shaft.
1. Perspex tube.
1. Flywheel Top stainless Stainless steel disc. 
1. Sample cup  small stainless steel disc.
1. Small disc in the base.
   Thumb screws  bolts. (Brass - stainless steel)

1. 30swg torsion viscometer wire (This has been made in house   - wire ends are designed to be reused)

Printed parts:-

2. Support brackets .....................      (Hold the Perspex wire guard tube)
1. Scale gauge bracket ................     (Hold the printed vinyl scale)
1. Sample holder bracket .............     (Allows the sample to be held in position)
1. Sample stop ..............................     (This stop allows you to set the sample bracket height)
1. Main base ..................................     (The main base has 3 micro adjustable levelling)

1.wire holder ..................................    (Special wire holder bracket with micro adjustment)
1.Adapter ring ................................    (This was added so you could use a commercial spring wire)
1.Sliding centring wire guard ........    (This allows you to slide section of the wire guard to assist in levelling)
1.Flywheel ......................................    (Customisable can add stainless steel weight discs, brass locking screw for securing bobs)
1.Flywheel locking mechanism ......  (Fully adjustable indicator pointer locking holder)

2.Accessory trays ..........................   (designed to locate on the side of the main base to store any Allen keys and also bobs

1.Waterproof vinyl gauge............... (can also be used with removable logging dial)

I decided to build a 3D printed Torsion Viscometer to do some experiments with my hobby pottery glazes. I designed each part in Design Spark Mechanical CAD software . For the vertical frame. I used copper tubing as I had this lying around in a scrap bin. (This has  been replaced with a stainless steel round bar 

Torsional%20Viscometer.jpg

Edited by Michael G Parry-Thomas
Take out web ine to website

This type of viscosity instrument is used in many different types of industries . the ceramic industry  for measuring casting slips and glazes.  Onglaze colours for the silk screen  printing industry,  

4 hours ago, Min said:

Is  the main use for this measuring viscosity of casting slips? 

43 minutes ago, Michael G Parry-Thomas said:

the ceramic industry  for measuring casting slips and glazes.

It may work out for you, but for many home studio artists my observation - most not measuring viscosity, with only a reasonable amount measuring specific gravity of glazes for repeatability. When younger and spray painting custom finishes Zahn cups / Ford cups (in North America) were convenient, economical and repeatable enough. Hopefully you can find a niche use in pottery. Very cool project.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing Michael!

I'm noting and adjusting glaze specific gravity, then adjusting thixotropy as required, such that revolving mass of glaze in the bucket* comes to a stop and "bounces back" a bit after three to four revolutions once stirring ceases.

Tony Hansen's articles and video clip on the subject changed glazing for me!
Thixotropy (digitalfire.com)

* I'm stirring with a kitchen whisk, at about one second per turn

Added - Anderen Limited has a video clip of a torsion viscometer in action (I was curious about how they are used), try this search string:

"Gallenkamp type" Torsion Viscometer

Edited by Hulk
instrument in use