CI Wheelhead removal

JohnnyK

Is there anyone out there that knows how to remove the wheel head from a CI- MP? Mine has a slight crack and a warp that has gotten a little annoying and I'd like to get a replacement or have one fabricated out of aluminum. My next email is going to Speedball to see if there's anyone over there that can help me.

6 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

Is there anyone out there that knows how to remove the wheel head from a CI- MP? Mine has a slight crack and a warp that has gotten a little annoying and I'd like to get a replacement or have one fabricated out of aluminum. My next email is going to Speedball to see if there's anyone over there that can help me.

I contacted Speedball and they gave instructions to remove the head and said they could modify the head from a different wheel to fit...It just depends on the cost whether I'll go that route.

12 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

I contacted Speedball and they gave instructions to remove the head and said they could modify the head from a different wheel to fit...It just depends on the cost whether I'll go that route.

That's good news. I'm surprised they were willing to help. In the past I've always heard that they won't do anything with the old CI wheels.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:53 AM, neilestrick said:

That's good news. I'm surprised they were willing to help. In the past I've always heard that they won't do anything with the old CI wheels.

Actually, it will cost about $100 for the modified wheelhead, which I think is a reasonable price, and the instructions for the removal of the old head are straightforward. Turnaround time for the new head is about 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Well...try as I might, there was no way to remove the wheel head without doing major damage to the assembly. Since the wheel head is some sort of plastic (almost like Bakelite), I took a sander to the high spots and attached a Corian bat to it. Now the wheel head runs true.