Vase and bowl value

Post pictures and see if anyone can help. If you can, show the bottoms and any marks that might identify a maker. People often sign or stamp their work. Worth a shot.

Fun story, I was having dinner at a colleague’s house. He’s the science teacher, I’m the art teacher. In Anchorage, Alaska. He says, “You’re into ceramics, you might recognize these bowls,” as he loads one up with salad. “They’re made by someone named Shoji Hamada.”

So, he grew up in both England and Japan and his parents were great friends with Bernard Leach and Hamada. He just kept pulling out Hamada pots that his mom had given him while I was picking my jaw up off the floor. The kicker was when he pointed to a pot on his fireplace mantle and said, “That one’s a Peter Voulkos.” Sure as hell, a signed Voulkos, an early one, when still made pots that looked like pots.

”We use the pots because mom said that’s what he would have wanted. She loved pottery”

You just never know. 

Edited by Kelly in AK

@missys at the bottom of the comment box, there is an option to either drag photos from your desktop to attach, or you can click on choose files and follow the prompts. If your photos are on your phone, the easiest way is to log into this website through your browser. The comment box view will be similar, and most newer phone models will automatically prompt you to choose a suitable file size, similar to how you’d email a picture. 

When I was a decorator I worked for some very rich people,  I was with a regular customer and she was talking about having a sale to get rid of some things or just throwing them away.    She pointed out a Maria blackware  and another local artist that sold high end work.   I could of offered her a few dollars,  she would have given them to me.   Instead I told her who the artist were and how much the work was worth.  She thanked me profusely and I went home empty handed but happy with myself.     Denice