Switch replacement 220volt to 240volt

Katerina

Hello everyone, i own an old (1980) small skutt kiln and i need to change the infinite switch. My kiln is 220volt and i find switches that are 240volt. Is it possible to use 240volt in mine that is 220volt??

Thank you!!!

Screenshot_2023-04-25-17-25-42-340_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-25-17-27-15-030_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Edited by Katerina

Hello everyone, i own an old (1980) small skutt kiln and i need to change the infinite switch. My kiln is 220volt and i find switches that are 240volt. Is it possible to use 240volt in mine that is 220volt??

Thank you!!!

IMG_20230425_173041.jpg

Edited by Katerina

• Katerina changed the title to Switch replacement 220volt to 240volt

220v in North America is an old standard that has been replaced by 240v. Electric grid suppliers have moved the voltage up over the years to reduce their transmission expenses a bit. Not everywhere has done this, but a 240v rated switch will be just fine even if you still have 220 v.

I'm confused, the plate seems inconsistent, saying: 127/220 volts, single phase, 9 amps, 3300 watts. But 220v*9a = 1980w not 3300w.

If there is a single infinite switch I guess it will need to be rated for at least 3300w/220v=15a rather than 9a -- unless you are sure that the plate wattage is incorrect.

I thought Skutt kilns all had 3 level switches -Low,Meduim,high-never seen an infinite one on a Skutt kiln?

I know they make kilns for the european market that are speced differently . Maybe the switches are one of those items . . One I know is a thin wrap of fiber under the Jackets. I was told they had to for the Greek market. I adopted this and it been great. You can get that really thin fiber(about 1/8 inch) at kilnshelve.com 

Edited by Mark C.

@Katrina A quick google of your AC mains voltage shows 230 volts, single phase, much like most of Europe. So if true 240v rated switches are still fine for 220 v switches.

Can you confirm this is an infinite switch in that it rotates smoothly and not a three position low, medium, high type selectable switch.  A picture of the switch and markings on it would also clarify a whole bunch. Actually a picture of the front of the switch would likely show which it is. I assume you have researched enough to have picked a replacement part for the kiln, so if just rated safe for a higher voltage, should not be a problem.

The amperage written on the kiln tag appears to be incorrect. 127/220v is / was a common designation in some countries. 3300 watts is definitely consistent with the power to operate this kiln.

I think in the end a close up picture of the switch labeling will reveal exactly which switch you need and a replacement now is likely rated safe for 240v use rather than the old 220v standard.  

post a picture if you can - ευχαριστώ

Edited by Bill Kielb

The kiln is located in Greece! I can't upload the photos(i don't know why). The switch has numbers on low1234567high. And the only information i have is tthis that i wrote on my post. I think it won't be a problem if i will put 240v but to be sure i contacted skutt support and i hope that they will answer soon!!!

thank you everybody!! Ευχαριστώ 

Nice job! That appears to be an infinite switch with single output control. @neilestrick may weigh in here - I think he has a favorite - Robershaw universal replacement. What might present a minor issue would be the typical rating of these switches are 3600 Watts and you are pretty close at 3300 watts. If you can get the switch out and post a picture of the actual switch ratings it would be best, but more than likely a universal switch will be just fine………… especially if when you take that switch out and read the numbers on the switch  it is rated at the traditional 3600 Watts.

A call to Skutt maybe best though as they can just tell you the correct switch to use.   Nice job with the pictures, usually just have to resize the picture so the file size is smaller.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Kilns here in the US usually run on 240 volts or 208 volts, and Skutt only sells one type of infinite switch, the 240 volt model, so you'll be fine using a 240 volt switch on your kiln. Any 240 volt, 15 amp infinite switch you find will work fine. I like the kits that come with the knob because your old knob may or may not fit the new switch. Robert Shaw is a good brand to get, something like THIS, but I don't know if they are available where you are. If there's a local appliance repair shop they may have something you can use, because these switches are usually used on stoves/ovens.