John Britt Copper Red issues

I just tested John Britt’s copper red in oxidation. Fired with the attached schedule and got really weird results. My distributer gave me 60 mesh silicon carbide instead of 600 mesh and I wonder if that’s part of it. Also ran really badly on the kiln shelf. Any suggestions?

52F44832-2F16-46C8-B0CC-DAD45129FEFA.png

90A13DA0-ED9C-4413-9D33-195CA23A3C86.jpeg

5494FEAD-0A26-41CE-B16E-3C665FB88D45.jpeg

Edited by LadyLumpsClay

If you want something to use up the 60 mesh and you make anything with an unglazed gallery mixing the silicon carbide with toothpaste then using it as a grinding compound will make the unglazed rims or galleries as smooth as glass. A few blobs of the silicon carbide toothpaste around the rim then rotate the rim several times then rinse it off well, lids will fit really well and won't make that grinding sound when you put them on.

8 hours ago, Kelly in AK said:

I also see bubbly lava glazes use SiC for the effect. Maybe it could be useful in that way too. 

Perhaps it's worth glancing at this, which looks at the effects of different SiC mesh sizes in lava glazes.

Testing Silicon Carbide Grits in Cone 6 Lava / Crater Glazes
https://www.thestudiomanager.com/posts/testing-silicon-carbide-grits-in-cone-6-lava-glazeimage.png.21b227137bc00353d2fa7c82d1744c38.png