Nichrome wire dust

Hello

I make tiny white pieces of jewellery, I push nichrome wire loops into the tops of the pieces and hang them onto wire bead racks and fire at home. I never used to have a problem with this, but since I have been firing at home and not taking them to a shop to be fired, I have found that the tops of my pieces sometimes get sprinkled in a ghastly black dust at glaze firing, presumably from either the nichrome wire or the bead racks. 

I bought a new bead rack and this doesnt solve the issue, and it has happened with several different wires. Any ideas what might be causing this and how to prevent it? My pieces are very white and delicate so it is basically ruining everything I make

Are you reusing the wire?

That may be the prob.

Ask what they used where you used to get them fired, and their method.

Anything else changed?

How are you making the holes in your pieces?

What are the underneath of your shelves looking like?

What is the roof/ lid of kiln lookIng like?

I have to throughly vacuum roof and spy holes before each firing as there is a fallout of black specks from the spyholes if I don't.

Ask at the other place first.

Contamination of glaze or brushes or work space?

10 hours ago, milkymoonceramics said:

Hello

I make tiny white pieces of jewellery, I push nichrome wire loops into the tops of the pieces and hang them onto wire bead racks and fire at home. I never used to have a problem with this, but since I have been firing at home and not taking them to a shop to be fired, I have found that the tops of my pieces sometimes get sprinkled in a ghastly black dust at glaze firing, presumably from either the nichrome wire or the bead racks. 

I bought a new bead rack and this doesnt solve the issue, and it has happened with several different wires. Any ideas what might be causing this and how to prevent it? My pieces are very white and delicate so it is basically ruining everything I make

Is the thermocouple sheathed or unsheathed?

12 hours ago, Babs said:

Are you reusing the wire?

That may be the prob.

Ask what they used where you used to get them fired, and their method.

Anything else changed?

How are you making the holes in your pieces?

What are the underneath of your shelves looking like?

What is the roof/ lid of kiln lookIng like?

I have to throughly vacuum roof and spy holes before each firing as there is a fallout of black specks from the spyholes if I don't.

Ask at the other place first.

Contamination of glaze or brushes or work space?

I have tried contacting them but no picking up the phone or replying, they must be mega busy! Thank you though that's very helpful, I hadn't considered it might be coming from elsewhere in the kiln so I will give it all a good vaccum and see if that helps. 

9 hours ago, Min said:

If it's coming from the bead bars you could try alumina rods instead if the loops on your jewellery are large enough.  Image below is from Aliexpress, you can find separate rods in various sizes there also. (longer ones on the river in South America but they are out of stock)

10pcs-ceramic-jewelry-small-pendant-hanging-burning-bracket-high-temperature-kiln-burning-tool-hanging-burning-rod.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Amazing thank you

• 1 month later...