Looking to buy a new Front load electric kiln

Elmoclayman

So I will try to make this short, but I am looking to purchase a front loading Electric kiln for my high school ceramics program.  I will be moving to a new classroom across campus next winter and the old Carol Suzanne kiln is on its last legs and I don't plan on moving it to the new room.  Some of you have been helping me with my thermocouple issues in a different thread and I really appreciate it. 

The interior dimensions of the  Carol Suzanne kin I have now are approx. 30" wide X 30"deep  X 36" tall. 

Spec.:  3 Phase, 50amp, 240 volt

I am assuming I will have the same electrical capabilities in my new room/ building.  I am looking for a front loading kiln, mainly because I think its easier on the back rather than the top load.   I will be using it mainly for bisque and low temp glaze firing, Cone 04 to mayber Cone 02 at the hottest.  The Carol Suzanne kiln has been my workhorse and I usually do at least one sometimes 2 bisque firing a week when my students are being productive.

Anyone have any opinions on brand? Opinions on dealers that charge a fair price? Quick delivery and setup?

Thanks in advance!

Is the kiln 50 amps, or is it on a 50 amp breaker? Kilns must be on a breaker that is 25% greater than the draw. Either way, 50 amps on 240V 3P is under-powered by today's standards for a kiln of that size. Your kiln is approximately 18 cubic feet, and by comparison, a 16 cubic foot L&L front loader will pull 58 amps. The L&L is rated to cone 10, though, so you don't really need that much power for your situation. I think you'll have a difficult time finding a kiln of that size that will have that low a power draw, however you may be able to have the elements customized to work within your specific electrical needs.

Delivery on a kiln of that size (depending on where it ships from) could be $1000 or more, so make sure you get a shipping quote.

If you need someone to assist with setup then buy from your local ceramic supply shop if they offer that service. Generally you'll need a forklift to receive the kiln, and a pallet jack to move it into place. You'll need to check clearances through all doorways from the loading dock to the kiln room to make sure it'll fit. A lot of big kilns won't fit through standard doorways.

10 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Is the kiln 50 amps, or is it on a 50 amp breaker? Kilns must be on a breaker that is 25% greater than the draw. Either way, 50 amps on 240V 3P is under-powered by today's standards for a kiln of that size. Your kiln is approximately 18 cubic feet, and by comparison, a 16 cubic foot L&L front loader will pull 58 amps. The L&L is rated to cone 10, though, so you don't really need that much power for your situation. I think you'll have a difficult time finding a kiln of that size that will have that low a power draw, however you may be able to have the elements customized to work within your specific electrical needs.

Delivery on a kiln of that size (depending on where it ships from) could be $1000 or more, so make sure you get a shipping quote.

If you need someone to assist with setup then buy from your local ceramic supply shop if they offer that service. Generally you'll need a forklift to receive the kiln, and a pallet jack to move it into place. You'll need to check clearances through all doorways from the loading dock to the kiln room to make sure it'll fit. A lot of big kilns won't fit through standard doorways.

The Kiln is 50 amps, not sure of the breaker.  Thanks for the shipping information.  Didn't think about he equipment needed and the shipping cost.  Good chance the kiln will be in an outdoor area, so getting through doorways shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, Piedmont Pottery said:

I have the L&L eFL2635.  It's a great kiln.  The 3-phase 240V version needs a 70 AMP breaker.  And you will likely need a forklift to move it into place.

The newest design of the eFL series ships the kiln body sitting directly on a pallet. It can be unloaded with a pallet jack, however you'll need a high lift pallet jack for assembly. You assemble the stand, lift up the kiln with the high lift jack, connect the stand, and set it all down. It's pretty simple, just takes a little time to get everything  together.

On 12/7/2022 at 5:45 PM, neilestrick said:

The newest design of the eFL series ships the kiln body sitting directly on a pallet. It can be unloaded with a pallet jack, however you'll need a high lift pallet jack for assembly. You assemble the stand, lift up the kiln with the high lift jack, connect the stand, and set it all down. It's pretty simple, just takes a little time to get everything  together.

That's interesting.  When I bought mine, it was assembled on the stand and the whole assembly bolted to a pallet.  The only door that the kiln would fit through was the door at the loading dock into our kiln room, which is about 4 feet above the ground on the outside.  We used a forklift to get it onto the loading dock, and then a pallet jack to move it into position.