Please help!! Kiln issue

hlipper

Hi there - woke up today to some kind of misfiring with my L&L Easy Fire. Received the error message E-1 which according to L&L is "Kiln temperature increasing slower than 12°F per hour when ramping for 22.5 min."

The kiln is currently at 700. I peaked in briefly and my pieces don't look fully fired to ^6. My question is: can I refire this kiln load or is all the work lost? I'm working on deadline and would be devastated to lose all of this work. THANK YOU for any insight!

Thank you all!! The elements are likely pretty old. Unfortunately I haven't been using witness cones (I was previously but the firings have been consistent). I do have extra elements on hand that I could use to replace the others...

I don't know how to use a multi-meter. Would appreciate other suggestions as you noted!

54 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

If the pieces look okay but underfired, then go ahead and re-fire them once you figure out what's wrong with the kiln. Do you know how to use a multi-meter to check your kiln? If not let us know and we can tell you a couple of other ways to check things out.

I just learned that we do have a multi-meter! What should I specifically be measuring for? Thanks again.

e28S-240240/119.39.7

26 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

HERE. Unplug the kiln and test the element resistance. Check your manual to see what they should be.

How hot does the kiln get before it errors?

Great - did that and the measurements should be 9.7 for a e23T-240. My measurements were 11.3, 11.3, 10.85, and 10.85 (so I calculated a reduction of 11.6% and 11.2%. Assuming I should replace the elements?

I didn't see the max temp but I know that it got to at least 1600 before I went to bed. I have noticed my firings taking longer than usual so I'd guess that was the elements as well...

@hlipper I have the same kiln.  I have more than 900 firings on that  beast.  The absolute first thing I do to check is the paper test.  I fold small strips of paper and insert in between the coils on the elements on each level.  Then turn it on a fast glaze and see what burns and what doesn't.  If it's just one section, it could be a relay. If it's all sections, could be old elements.   But I also check the elements closely to see if a smidgen of glaze got in there and caused things to burn out.  But we also get the multimeter out and do that testing.  How many firings on your elements?  I am also a BIG believer in a kiln log.  I write down every single firing and every single repair.  If you want a copy of mine, dm me and I will send it. 

Roberta

1 hour ago, hlipper said:

e28S-240240/119.39.7

Great - did that and the measurements should be 9.7 for a e23T-240. My measurements were 11.3, 11.3, 10.85, and 10.85 (so I calculated a reduction of 11.6% and 11.2%. Assuming I should replace the elements?

I didn't see the max temp but I know that it got to at least 1600 before I went to bed. I have noticed my firings taking longer than usual so I'd guess that was the elements as well...

Yes, it sounds like they need replacing.

4 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

@hlipper I have the same kiln.  I have more than 900 firings on that  beast.  The absolute first thing I do to check is the paper test.  I fold small strips of paper and insert in between the coils on the elements on each level.  Then turn it on a fast glaze and see what burns and what doesn't.  If it's just one section, it could be a relay. If it's all sections, could be old elements.   But I also check the elements closely to see if a smidgen of glaze got in there and caused things to burn out.  But we also get the multimeter out and do that testing.  How many firings on your elements?  I am also a BIG believer in a kiln log.  I write down every single firing and every single repair.  If you want a copy of mine, dm me and I will send it. 

Roberta

Thanks, Roberta! I do luckily use a firing log. Mine has about 100 now since I've had it, with a couple firings by the previous owner. I will try out that paper trick. Thanks!