UNDERGLAZE TRANSFERS

Valarie

It’s usually easier to apply tissue transfers to wet clay, but it can be done on bisque. You just have to use a light hand and blot when you dampen it with a sponge, or the image will smudge easily. Glazes will be best dipped carefully, or sprayed on. If you use a brushing glaze, it’ll smear the image.

4 hours ago, Valarie said:

that has an  a layer of  airbrushed  underglaze as a base coat?

If the airbrushed underglaze is nubbly in texture like can happen when spraying then it might be difficult to get clean lines from the transfer. If the underglaze is smooth but unfired on the bisque I'ld leave it really harden up before trying the underglaze transfer.

@Valarie  Yes, lots of possibilities with underglaze and transfers.  As @Bill Kielbsuggested, it might be easier to bisque your underglazed pieces first then apply the transfers, but you can try it any ol way.  I have also put underglaze on leather (or even bone dry) pots and then put transfers over the underglaze.  The bone dry pots absorb the underglaze quickly and then it make it easy to apply the transfers.  Happy surface decorating!

Do we know if the airbrushed underglaze has already been bisque fired? To avoid doing 3 firings I put underglaze on fairly dry but not bone dry pots then leave them sit overnight then put the transfer on then bisque fired followed by glaze firing. Underglazes have enough gum in them to stay put when fully dry, transfers definitely need to be bisque fired on before glazing if brushing or dipping. Might be okay with spraying glaze on them, I haven't tried that so can't say for certain. Recently I've been silkscreening Amaco Jet Black or Spectrum underglaze on a gelli plate, those are nice and set when bisque fired but I noticed there are some commercial underglaze transfers that don't have enough flux in them that do smudge after bisque firing, some are so short of flux that you can just wipe them right off.

Edited by Min