Colored Clay Techniques

Hi,

I recently came across the work of Susan Nemeth, and I love it!!! Are there any books that teach this technique? I am reading a book by Jo Connell, and she does talk about putting colored clays on a slab, but I am not sure how to go about doing that. There is no information on this.

Are there workshops that teach this technique? I would go, if it was when I wasn't working.

Thanks much,

Nancy

Guest JBaymore

BRASSTOWN, NC, FEBRUARY 10—16, 2013

“Coloring Clay the Skinner Blend Way†with Artist Chris Campbell. John

C Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, North Carolina,

www.folkschool.org.

Judith Skinner invented blending techniques for polymer clay in 1992-now

see how this can be adapted to real clay for fast and easy color! We will

create some vivid color combinations to use in patterns for our work. Even

if you have taken a class in colored clay before, this will alter your whole

way of thinking. Some familiarity with clay will enhance your experience

in this intermediate-level handbuilding adventure. Contact

programming@

folkschool.org

Susan's techniques are different from mine ... From the images i see i think she is slip casting different layers of color then scraping away for patterns ... but I can offer you a good foundation on colored clays so you can start learning. I will be teaching a week long session in February and have more in the planning stages ....

AND ....

Look for an article in the January issue of Pottery Making Illustrted that will explain my adaptation of the Skinner Blending technique to earthen clay with lots of images and solid info. This technique has been and still is the most exciting and fun discovery ... I'm having a blast with it and you all will too.

If you don't subscribe to PMI yet check out some of their special offers and get in on the fun.

Hi Chris,

I looked up your workshop a few months ago, but unfortunately, my February break from school misses this by a week. sad.gif I was definitely going to go. Do you teach any workshops like this in the summer?

Does this technique that Nemeth uses involve layering colored clay on a slab of white clay, or is there another secret? I think I remember from your website that you layer and cut??

If you teach in the summer or the week after Easter, count me in definitely!! I love what you do!

Nancy

I can only take my best guess at her technique but I believe it is thin layers of colored slips poured into molds then scraped away to leave a pattern but I am judging this from images online ... I could be wrong.

If anyone wants a colored clay workshop in your area, ask your nearby crafts center to invite me. I can only go where I'm asked! :D

I can only take my best guess at her technique but I believe it is thin layers of colored slips poured into molds then scraped away to leave a pattern but I am judging this from images online ... I could be wrong.

If anyone wants a colored clay workshop in your area, ask your nearby crafts center to invite me. I can only go where I'm asked! biggrin.gif

Hi,

I was going to see if I could host a workshop, but I live in a rural, sparsely populated area, and I know it is hard to get people up here to take workshops. Keep me posted, please, of any new ones you give? Thanks much,

Nancy

From her web site:

"This inlaid coloured porcelain series was inspired by the paintings of Henri Matisse, Paul Klee, Ben Nicholson and Eva Hesse. The decoration is integral. Laminated sheets of coloured clays inlaid with hand cut patterns, were beaten, rolled and stretched over moulds. (The vases were slab-built.) Forcing a form from one single flat sheet of clay ensures a simple shape.

Buried in sand to prevent warping, the pieces are fired to their limit, to achieve a smooth, matt, vitrified surface."

If anyone wants a colored clay workshop in your area, ask your nearby crafts center to invite me. I can only go where I'm asked! :D

Your work is amazing!

Archived