Testing glazes in full vs nearly empty kiln

Bette

Hi, new potter here. I have been firing test tiles along with pots with full loads in my kiln. If I were to fire just test tiles - so the kiln would be relatively empty - would results closely replicate what I would see with a full kiln? I use a Skutt electric kiln with controller and Envirovent.

I also want to say how much I appreciate this forum and all the advice I am finding here. Very practical and inspiring, so thank you!

The impressions I have from my reading is that the heat load can effect the glaze. A smaller kiln has a smaller heat load. The smaller the heat load the quicker the cooling, and the rate of cooling effects the growth of crystals in the glaze, especially more matte glazes and 'floating' glazes. I would guess that if you down-fire your kiln (bump it with heat to slow the cooling), you will get the same effect as a fully loaded kiln cooled at the same rate.

Joel.

When I used to fire low cone 05 bisque and cone 05 glaze fire, testing was an easy thing to do. All ware to be bisqued including the test tiles were put together and all glazed test were all put together

But since you seem to want to isolate your glaze tests why not put all of your tests on one shelf. If you use half shelves keep a space between them so air can move freely through the kiln.

I've wondered about this also but intuitively avoided firing such light loads. It does draw out developing and testing different recipes. Even though my kiln is relatively small, I have thought about getting a test kiln. Would a small test kiln produce more accurate results ( compare to full load of larger kiln)?

I've wondered about this also but intuitively avoided firing such light loads. It does draw out developing and testing different recipes. Even though my kiln is relatively small, I have thought about getting a test kiln. Would a small test kiln produce more accurate results ( compare to full load of larger kiln)?

I don't think small kilns fire as evenly as larger kilns since their ratio of wall surface to the heated mass is larger, making them loose heat faster.

Joel.

I don't think small kilns fire as evenly as larger kilns since their ratio of wall surface to the heated mass is larger, making them loose heat faster.

Joel.

I've got a Paragon Firefly- it seems to do pretty well to cone 6. (I just have to back off the final ramp a bit).

Like a leaf on the wind...

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't you fire your test glazes with the rest of the kiln? My reasoning is that if the test passes, you'll use it on your pots, which will be fired in big groups. The only way this would be a thing to do is if you had some pots that your fired by themselves.

I'm just thinking about this logically, so I may be wrong.

I think you'd get a better result in a full kiln and fire as you intend to fire.

I have a small test kiln, 9 ht x 13 wide. I fire test tiles raised across triangular stills or on coils for full circulation of heat. I fire as many shelves as I can in there and use one on the top just under the shelf. I also put some thick fiber insulation on the outside top of the kiln. Itry to fire down but it is an old manual kiln so that is a crap shoot. I also fire a cone hotter than the glaze would be in a full larger load.

These practices give me pretty good results.

marcia

Archived