Did I just mess up my kiln?

Sadkiln

hey everyone, 

I’m quite upset with myself and having lots of regret. I purchased a kiln in amazing used condition but it got damaged in the move. About seven of the bricks are damaged. I read that I could use kiln cement to “glue” my broken brick together. So I purchased kiln cement and decided to try it. But I think I f’ed up. Looking for recommendations now! Please give me constructive feedback and be nice! This is my first kiln and I’m depressed now thinking I messed up too badly. Kiln cement  <-photo.  I pretty much painted the cement over the broken pieces. I tried to paint the cement in between the pieces but was breaking it even more! look at the photo and let me what you think. Thank you!

Edited by Sadkiln

Hi and welcome to the forum!

In the unlikely event anyone is mean they’ll have me and the other mods to answer to, but you have nothing to worry about there. We get a lot of beginners around here, and the group is pretty fantastic and wants to help.

From your image, I don’t think you have much to worry about regarding your bricks either. All of the joints look tight, and it looks clean and like it’s barely been used. A  little cracking or small pits in the brick are not cause for concern: the soft brick will still insulate very well. The repairs you show are in the middle of the kiln and look pretty tidy to me. From the size, the damage might not have even interfered with the kiln’s performance noticeably if you’d left them. If there were chunks missing around the edge, that might cause  heat leakage and slow the firing bit, but you’d be surprised what your equipment can do. As long as you didn’t get any cement on the elements, I see nothing wrong there. Even if you did, just clean it off before you fire it.

If the piece you are coating is broken from the inside (you did not give much in details )

Meaning its falling off or trapped by the elements. Than a repair on the outside is only a partial repair . The brick need to be glued on the crack. You can thin the cement for this inject it with a large plastic hypo. The deal is you need to keep it 100% off the elements -You can sleve these in a say plastic  ot paper. just no cement on any elemnet. The other thing is less is more with cement on the outside (inner chamber) with bricks. It adds weight and will cuase more issues if to thick. I never use cement like paint-I use a putty knife or plastic small spatula orv a fettling knife. If this is yet to be fired it can be sanded down if to think still but that runs the risk of more damage. Looking at tis kiln its new looking so maybe you are overthinking it. The one photo shows only one angle so I cannot see really whats in the rear by the elements.

There are lots of YOUTUBE repair videos to see what works as well.

Thank you Callie and Mark for your advice! I don’t think I got any cement on the elements but I’ll double check. I haven’t fired it yet but I’ll sand it down a bit bc it is thick. Really appreciate it! Any more advice from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Sadkiln - I feel your emotional distress! Your first kiln is like a first child. So precious. And..you're right - that one you got is in A++ condition, which is really hard to find on the used market. But fear not....I looked at that pic: You didn't damage the brick badly AT ALL. Most electric kilns have 3" walls. That edge on the element trough chips off all the time...and ESPECIALLY when the kiln has to be moved. Agree with folks above: As long as you didn't get any cement on the element coil, you're totally fine. You could even have gone without the repair, frankly...and just perhaps pinned the element a little more in those two spots.

Sleep well tonight. The kiln is just fine. Good luck!

• 11 months later...