Coyote high fire underglazes

Hi All,

I am using Coyote's high fire underglazes for the first time and wondering if anyone knows if I put underglaze on the bottom of the pot if it will stick to the kiln shelf or to other pieces if I stack them?

I have used Amaco underglazes in the past and find that they can be stacked. A few months ago I used Duncan underglazes and stacked pots for bisque firing and they are now permanently affixed to one another. I don't want to make that same mistake again. 

Thank you,

Betty

A little trick to separate teapot lids from teapot bodies...run hot water over one portion of the two pieces. If the universe likes you there will soon be a slight cracking sound and your lid will easily separate from the teapot. If the universe doesn't like you there will be a loud cracking sound and things will separate in a most ugly fashion.

If a single application of hot water doesn't work than an application of cold water, to the second piece, followed by hot water to the first, should ease the process.

It doesn't work, all the time, but most times it will.

Duncan makes some underglazes called Stroke and Coat that actually act like glaze.  So yes, they would stick together.  I have not had Amaco underglazes stick to the shelf or other pots but...they will sometimes leave an impression on the shelf or another piece if you are stacking.  So, I am careful with my stacking.  

r.

I would do the same with those as with glazes, test them. Cone you fire to would probably make a difference as to how fluxed they get (which would determine whether they stick to the kiln shelf etc). I'ld fire some small flat test tiles underglaze side down on a flat waster slab and see what happens. At the same time I'ld fire some test tiles with whatever glaze you will be using to see how the colours come out. 

I've used some of these underglazes and though I haven't put them in stacks or on the bottom, they seem to act like the Amacos do. They don't melt too much and feel dry once bisqued, so I would think in your tests that they would come out okay.